Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT score  (Read 1130 times)

btmansfield

• View Profile
    • Email
Low LSAT score
« on: June 25, 2005, 09:26:45 PM »
Hopefully someone can help me out with this.  I will be a senior in college this year and will be applying to law school this fall.  I have a 3.95 GPA majoring in Economics and am in 3 honor societies in college.  I have also done a 7 month internship with Citigroup and am currently doing a 3 month internship with U.S. Senator George Allen.  I played baseball my freshman and sophomore years for a top 25 division-1 program and have basically any extra-curricular you can think of.

Here's the problem.  I took the LSAT in June.  I did absolutely terrible.  I scored a 145.  I plan to apply to UVA and William and Mary.  How will this score look to the schools, and will I still have a chance of being admitted?

Also, should I retake the LSAT again?  How do schools look at multiple LSAT scores?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!

dollarbill

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT score
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
Both of those schools will ding you.  Take the LSAT over again and beg in an addendum that they disregard your initial score.  Honestly, how could you do that badly?  Most schools will average the scores, but if there is a significant difference (typically 10 or more points), then some will take the higher score.  Northwestern, I'm pretty sure, will always take the higer score.  In any event, you absolutely need to take the October LSAT and you should probably try studying or something this time.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:51:27 AM »
Honestly, how could you do that badly?

Geez, way to make a guy feel good.  Disregard stupid comments like that.  Law students can be rude, even though they shouldn't be.  I do agree with him that you need to take the LSAT again.  It's a sad thing but the LSAT is the biggest factor along with your grades.  If you're not at least within range, you're chances of acceptance are slim to none.  Think of it this way: you sound as though you have lots of cool things you've done extracurricular wise, but you have to remember that most of the applicants are doing the same types of things as you.  So you really have to try to pump up that score!  Best of luck to you...we all know the LSAT is a beast.

ASNetlenov

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 02:30:23 PM »
Retake the LSAT. Both schools will reject you with those numbers. UVa will look at a second LSAT separately if it is high enough. If you can do significantly better, W&M will take you based on your GPA.

The 145 puts you into T3/T4 automatically. Good luck and make sure to give yourself several months to prepare for the LSAT.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 03:04:24 PM »
Hopefully someone can help me out with this.  I will be a senior in college this year and will be applying to law school this fall.  I have a 3.95 GPA majoring in Economics and am in 3 honor societies in college.  I have also done a 7 month internship with Citigroup and am currently doing a 3 month internship with U.S. Senator George Allen.  I played baseball my freshman and sophomore years for a top 25 division-1 program and have basically any extra-curricular you can think of.

Here's the problem.  I took the LSAT in June.  I did absolutely terrible.  I scored a 145.  I plan to apply to UVA and William and Mary.  How will this score look to the schools, and will I still have a chance of being admitted?

Do not do what I did and just settle for wherever you get in. If there was one thing I could do over, it would be that. I should have taken the LSAT again. I ended up transferring, but I would recommend that you take it again. You owe yourself that much.

Also, should I retake the LSAT again?  How do schools look at multiple LSAT scores?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!

Take it again. If I had it to do over again, I would have re-taken it and ended up in a good school the first time. I was able to transfer, but you should really take it again.