Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Government?  (Read 769 times)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Government?
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:59:43 PM »
Ok, I'm getting ready to start law school in the fall, and I've never taken a class in government.  Ever.  I never took PoliSci or anything as an undergrad, and I graduated from a private high school where I wasn't required to take a government class.  So do I need to know a little more than common knowledge about how the government works to do well in law school?  Should I get an old PoliSci textbook and read through it?  Any thoughts?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

The Cartel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Government?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »
I donít believe it matters. I would however suggest that you just keep up with current events. I am also starting Law School and have not taken any government classes, being an Info-Systems major, reading the Washington Post everyday has taught me what I know about government. A polysci book would help with government structure but if youíre up on current events you probably know that stuff and just donít realize it.

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »
I was a polisci major in undergrad, and I'll tell you, I don't think I've had a class about government since HS. That being said, i think chances are that if you buy a "textbook" you'd have to buy the most remedial crap book ever to get what you're looking. A lot of polisci majors go onto law school, and as one of them, I gotta say, its not because that major prepares you better than another. Its simply because other than graduate school in Political Science, you can't do anything.. umm... except write, and say "would you like fried with that?"
Keep reading the post, and the WSJ, and you should be fine. Maybe a book about the court system, but thats something you'll figure out as you go through law school anyways, well, at least you should.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 07:18:45 PM »
Thanks.  I currently work for my state's Court of Appeals, so I think I've got the court system down. :)

I'll just try to keep up with current events then.  I kinda started panicking about the no government thing earlier, and I'm not really sure why now...
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!