Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you hate law?  (Read 10635 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do you hate law?
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2005, 08:22:26 PM »
i think somewhere along the way people have forgotten that lawyers are professionals who hone and practice their craft to the point where people are willing to pay them the exorbitant salaries that many now earn.

how do you become proficient at something? you practice. are you really so naive to think that you will be able to stroll from steps of your law school to some big firm making a smooth, bump free transition? do you really think that after three years of law school you are in fact a fully functional lawyer, ready to tackle the social ills of the world?

think in terms of doctors. doctors go to school for four years. we already have them beaten on that count, we are in school for only three. furthermore, upon graduation, doctors begin their residencies which run a minimum of three years and a maximum  of five years. and yes, you guessed it, in residency these doctors-to-be work HARD - try 60 to 70 hours a week, and how much do these residents get paid? hmm try 30g to 40g, if they're lucky.

we stroll out of school after three years and straight into some big office. boo hoo. we can get paid up to 150g per year, straight out of school, boo hoo. oh wait, i have to pay my dues? i have to work hard at this for the first couple of years to become proficient? wait i'm a professional and am expected to act like one? BOO HOO.

anyway, i see the big law thing as something akin to residency in med, only you get paid a hell of a lot more. but the general sentiment here is right, it's a temporary thing, or at least should, unless you're a masochist and enjoy that sort of punishment.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2005, 09:46:56 PM »
we stroll out of school after three years and straight into some big office. boo hoo. we can get paid up to 150g per year, straight out of school, boo hoo.

In your dreams, brotha, in your dreams!

MidWestLawGril

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2005, 10:16:56 AM »

anyway, i see the big law thing as something akin to residency in med, only you get paid a hell of a lot more.

That's a great analogy. I love it!

And yes, I plan on strolling out of school into 125k.  That's why I worked so hard my first year.  Some people took a while to catch on that 1L grades are the only thing that matters.  Too bad for them.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2005, 07:03:11 PM »
F*ck doctors!!!  They answer to us!

Ok, j/k.  (or am I)  There is one thing for certain, med students have it the worst of all professional schools, hands down.
Burning Sands

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 11:06:11 AM »
I posted the following in the wrong thread initially...

Not to throw a curve ball or anything, but at my first summer position I did research to force an 80+ year old women to undergo ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), and research to take money from Mother Theresa. Now I'm conducting the investigation to have a lady declared legally incompetent.

So I agree that lawyers often advocate for positions they don't agree with.

My first summer position I did research to force a 80+ year old women to undergo ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), and research to take money from Mother Theresa, both successfully. Now I'm conducting the investigation to have a lady declared legally incompetent.

The 80 year old women was so depressed that she stopped eating and the ECT snapped her out of it. That or just getting a decent meal at a hospital rather than the crap she ate at a public nursing home. I'd guess the latter. Quote "I don't remember the last time I had grapes! and melon!, and cottage cheese!"

Mother Theresa was named as a remainder beneficiary in a trust where our client was the primary beneficiary. Our client is 50 and living in a community home and the cost was extensive. We wanted to shelter her funds (including the trust) so that the home would give her a break and so she could begin receiving government benefits. But that would mean cutting out Mother Theresa. It really didn’t matter because the trust was so small that our client would have to die suddenly for there to be any money left for Mother Theresa anyway. So I proceeded to point out that Mother Theresa is dead and our client is very much alive.

The alleged incompetent lady is crazy as a loon. I mean she has $200k stashed away and she lived without a functioning toilet or toilet paper, among other things. I believe she has been exploited as well. You better believe I’m not shaking her left hand.

Socially I don’t agree with what I’m doing, but for these clients bending the rules is beneficial. So my moral compass is changing, but I knew it would.

THE HOSTESS

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 03:41:47 AM »
I can quite confidently say that I do not hate law; I despise it.

I'm getting into this business, but the fact is that I despise its masquerade and the dishonest ways it poses itself, itself and the whole range of its @ # ! * i n g hypocrites!    

istically

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2005, 06:47:44 PM »
Awesome frame of mind, THE HOSTESS!

lwr

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2005, 04:13:01 PM »
I can quite confidently say that I do not hate law; I despise it.

I'm getting into this business, but the fact is that I despise its masquerade and the dishonest ways it poses itself, itself and the whole range of its @ # ! * i n g hypocrites!    

And it's not just you, THE HOSTESS, who feels this way! In fact, because lawyers are well aware how disgusting and useless what they're doing and dealing with is, they've arrived at a point where they don't have any respect at all for the law!

nesty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2005, 03:05:43 PM »
I can agree with you here, lwr! In fact, one may even assert that some people want to become lawyers to be able to, as the saying goes, do the crime but not the time :)

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2005, 11:14:36 PM »
In fact, because lawyers are well aware how disgusting and useless what they're doing and dealing with is, they've arrived at a point where they don't have any respect at all for the law!

Amen!