Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you hate law?  (Read 10685 times)

Grubesac

• View Profile
Do you hate law?
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:43:50 PM »
Its not secret that tons of lawyers really hate being lawyers and wish they had done something else.

Is this the case with any law students out there? Is anyone regretting their decision to attend and to be an attorney?

I'm just super nervous about going through such an ordeal to find that I hate doing what I do. I've done the research, it seems that I'd like the work, but how do I know? I bet a lot of dissatisfied lawyers felt they know what they were doing.

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you hate law?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:02:29 AM »
It took me twenty years to decide to go to law school after working as a paralegal for that long.  Here's the deal:

1.  You will work very, very hard.  Your life will be dictated by billable hour requirements and deadlines on your calendar.  You will have to sacrifice a lot.

2.  Your clients will at times turn on you because you are often the messenger of bad tidings.

3.  You will hold the lives of your clients in your hands (financial lives most of the time).  The responsibility will keep you awake at night.

My opinion on the key to happiness for a lawyer is twofold - organization and discipline.  Know ahead of time that 10-12 hour days and weekends are part of the package.  On the other hand, don't get sucked into making your work life your LIFE.  Get some downtime.  Learn to say "no".  The word "no" will be hard to get out of your mouth at times because you'll be convinced that your entire career depends on taking on more work than you can ever accomplish. 

The lawyers I've met who regretted their decisions started out with the erroneous assumption they would work banker's hours and wear pretty suits.

I decided to become a lawyer because I topped out in my career financially and intellectually.  I no longer wanted my hard work to stop at the printer.  I wanted to "play" as it were.  I also looked around at the comfortable lifestyles lawyers can achieve.  Of course, the trade-off for that comfortable lifestyle is hard work - lots of it.  But, if you enjoy the law, like making a difference, and like the law enough to eat chinese take-out at your desk, it's worth it.   

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »
aryeal - Great post.

I fully agree with you and I look forward on the responsibility of being an attorney.  I always thought that being an attorney required long hours AND pretty suits...heehee. 

Since I started law school, my enjoyment of the law had increased!  BTW - I have the "eating at my desk" down while working at my current job.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 03:45:10 PM »
Thats the news I wanted to hear! Thanks for the info. I can handle longer days and strenuous hours, it just has to be worth it. I don't need bankers hours, but I also know that I don't "need" to bill 2000 hours a year. Once you get experience, and pay off those blasted loans, there are more accomodating (time wise) paths as well.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 07:59:02 PM »
I love law school! ;D

maney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »
Do you hate law?

You can't really hate something that you despise!

buggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »
You may hate the law if: the only class you are looking forward to taking is Critical Race Theory!

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:06:49 PM »
nah, i am actually anticipating all of the lawyer jokes. I haven't smiled all day.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

frame of mind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 10:12:08 PM »
Why bother to hate law? Personally, I give law about the same amount of worth that one should give Rush Limbaugh's ideas on what should be done with drug addicts, or Al Gore talking about what a nice middle-class working background he comes from.

I don't think lawyer's way of thinking/masquerading is meant beyond a certain very specific audience, most of whom don't want to hear that they are complete jackasses.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 07:59:06 AM »
I am going to chime in and say that I abhor law school.  In fact, there is not ONE thing that I enjoy about the experience.  I would quit if I didn't already have so much money invested in this BS venture. 

My goal is to try to get a government job, because government employees have normal, 8-5 hours.  I know this from my experience as an extern for my state's attorney general's office.  I frankly cannot fathom why people are willing to work the long hours private-firm lawyers do, thinking it is all worth it in the end.  Well, what good is a lot of money if you don't have the downtime to enjoy it?

Sherry