Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?  (Read 1372 times)

Nellabella

• View Profile
Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?
« on: June 21, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »
I like NYLS's location but am wondering which is best for working in NYC after school. Preferably in a firm.  I know it will be hard to work in a big firm coming from either school.

sailme01

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »
I just finished my first year at NYLS.  I moved from California to be in New York City, and did not apply to Hofstra.  Since moving to New York I have heard very little about Hofstra. I have friends who go to to Brooklyn, St. Johns, Cardozo, etc., but I hear nothing about Hofstra.  I know that Hofstra ranks higher than NYLS, but I feel that NYLS has more of a presence in NYC (I could be off).  NYLS's location is great, but the school does leave a lot to be desired.  I feel that the quality of instruction is awesome. The administration + career services = suck.  The thing the guide book does not describe is the PLA + comprehensive curriculum.  Basically, the magic cut is the top 15%, which is a 3.31 GPA.  With that you get everything great the school could possibly offer - Law Review, the Harlans Program, and scholarships.  Plus, the career services actually is now interested in you.  If you are in the bottom 40%, PLA kicks in.  Basically, they force you into a class that does nothing but exam preparation.  However, everyone seems to like the PLA program.  It is the one first year class that is not on a curve.  Plus, the PLA program students do not take a final (I believe).  Finally, the professors also write practice finals that are only available to the PLA students.  The school's goal is to statistically increase the bar passage rates.  The students that are entirely overlooked fall between the top 15% and the bottom 40%.  I feel that this group gets the shaft.  You are fighting to maintain your first semester GPA against 40% of the class who is getting very good instruction on how to master an exam.  Meanwhile, you get no scholarship $, so at $38K you continue to worry about the massive debt you will face at graduation.  Finally, you are working your ass off to get connections to eventually get a job to pay back that massive debt.  From what I have seen, career servcies is basically worthless.  When we did our OCI recruitment, they sent out a package of information detailing the participating firms.  The package was full of mistakes and typographical errors.  If I had relied solely on the information package, I would have sent out cover letters with misspelled firm names!  Some of my peers got excellent summer positions at big firms (some of the biggest in NY).  One of my friends was in the bottom 40%, but got a fantastic summer position at a top 25 firm.  However, they all did it through family connections.  Career services definitely did not help get these jobs.  To go to either Hofstra or NYLS, you need good connections to get a firm job.  NYLS has a huge alumni network, so that is probably a good thing.  Anyway, I hope that helps.  I have mixed feelings about my year at NYLS.  I am looking to transfer, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to stay.
155 LSAT
3.68 UGPA

starlette

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra or NYLS for NYC law?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »
hey nellabella, did u get in st. john's? or did they not take you off the waitlist yet?