Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mail merge  (Read 880 times)

McVittie

• View Profile
Mail merge
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »

A friend of mine who is in law school recommended putting together an excel document of firms that I would be interested in working for so that I can do a quick mail merge and not have to worry about it in the fall. Here is my question: I noticed on NALP that many firms list two addresses - one for a particular firm office, and one for the firm headquarters where the recruiter is housed. For example, I am interested in working at a firm's Portland office, however their recruiter is in their Atlanta office. Which address should I send my resume and other materials to?

ErinKG

• View Profile
Re: Mail merge
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:13:09 PM »
I would check the firm's website and see what it says. All of the firms I've been eyeing are pretty clear about where to send resumes.

Erin

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:16:41 PM »
I've never gone a mail merge.  How do you do it?

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 06:57:57 AM »
Actually, Todd, that's how I learned to use mail merge.  I clicked the Help button and typed in Mail Merge.  Now I use it all the time.  It's how I plan to do my cover letters.  So go ahead and click Help.  It'll show you.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

lonahawk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 03:40:37 PM »
Question about fall recruiting: since the firms won't have any first year grades when you apply -- if you're not attenting a top-14 law school and didn't go to a ivy undergrad --- is there really any point in applying to top law firms?  Especially if you're right out of undergrad and don't have any stellar work experience.   Or is there a realistic change for the non-ivy students out there?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 04:05:05 PM »
^  Ooooh, good question.  Any point in applying if you're just barely T1?  If not, where should we apply?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!