Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How necessary is a laptop?  (Read 2594 times)

($)

• View Profile
Re: How necessary is a laptop?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:27:55 PM »
Laptop is essential in law school. I would go nuts if I would not surf the Internet during the entire duration of the class so that I will not pay attention to the crap the professor is saying.

breadboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 02:40:13 PM »
If its not required its not necessary--however, I've noticed that come exam time it seems those that type (assuming they can type faster than they write) seem to have an advantage.  There's a lot of info to get out on an exam, and its hard to handwrite it all (we had people who handwrote first quarter switch for second and third to computer, and they agreed it made it easier).  But if you aren't a good typer anyway, you'd probably be more comfortable handwriting your exam, and you'd have no disadvantage.   I would suggest, as TAS21 did, to have a computer available for you outlining though--I couldn't imagine if I made a handwritten outline, decided I didn't like the organization, and having to write the d**mn thing all over again!

Even in the 70s, before laptops existed, anyone who wasn't an idiot had his/her typewriter handy for exams.

SassDiva2000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »
I wouldn't say owning a laptop for the purpose of taking notes in class is essential. I have quite a few classmates who do not have laptops and are among the top performers of our class.Owning a laptop will not substitute for hard work and preparation and it's certainly not going to get you a better grade.

With that said, I do own a laptop that I use in class but as I posted in another discussion, I don't take very many notes in class. The main reason that I have a laptop is because my handwriting is atrocious and beyond comprehension--even I can't read it. The second reason is it makes outlining sooo much easier (cutting and pasting, highlighting, color coding, etc) but that is really the advantage of having a *computer* so in this case a desktop would even suffice. Ultimately, I think it comes down to personal preference. If a laptop makes you feel more organized then by all means, purchase one.

arioso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 01:03:51 AM »
Laptop is essential in law school. I would go nuts if I would not surf the Internet during the entire duration of the class so that I will not pay attention to the crap the professor is saying.

LOL!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:44:55 AM »
If you're really that concerned about your typing skills, why not spring for a tablet?  You can still write your notes, you get many of the advantages of handwriting (better comprehension, better retention) and many of the advantages of computers (you can convert handwritten notes to type, instantly saves things, easy backup, easy revision).

Regardless, you will need a laptop.  Even if you will never outline or take a single note on it, you will likely use it for writing assignments, and you don't want to be stuck at your apartment/house or screwed because you can't find a computer on campus.

spouse

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 09:23:32 AM »
Even if you will never outline or take a single note on it, you will likely use it for writing assignments, and you don't want to be stuck at your apartment/house or screwed because you can't find a computer on campus.

Stuck at your apt/house? I just can't understand how you can get stuck at your house!! Maybe you have kids making a lot of noise?!

Cutehonesty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 05:58:25 PM »
I got a laptop for law school and it has helped me a lot.  I don't have to be stuck at home typing up briefs....I could go to the park, library, etc.  With the wonders of wireless internet, I am able to go onto the legal dictionary sites and copy and paste the terms below my briefs.  It's so much better to have a laptop. 

As for exam, I type faster than I write so it's just wonderful except for the fee that the school applies on you because you're using a laptop.