Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How necessary is a laptop?  (Read 2631 times)

mike82

• View Profile
    • Email
How necessary is a laptop?
« on: June 18, 2005, 04:43:26 AM »
The school I will be attending in the fall does not have a laptop requirement so I don't really see a use for having one outside of taking notes. Even then I suck at typing so it seems like it would only slow me down. Is it really worth the money to get one? 

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: How necessary is a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:34:45 PM »
If its not required its not necessary--however, I've noticed that come exam time it seems those that type (assuming they can type faster than they write) seem to have an advantage.  There's a lot of info to get out on an exam, and its hard to handwrite it all (we had people who handwrote first quarter switch for second and third to computer, and they agreed it made it easier).  But if you aren't a good typer anyway, you'd probably be more comfortable handwriting your exam, and you'd have no disadvantage.   I would suggest, as TAS21 did, to have a computer available for you outlining though--I couldn't imagine if I made a handwritten outline, decided I didn't like the organization, and having to write the damn thing all over again!

differencebetween

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 02:06:25 AM »
After first semester (or even starting late first semester, after the fear abates), MANY laptop screens are filled with ESPN, shoe shopping, IM stuff, or solitaire.  The absence of these distractions has GOT to be beneficial!

;)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »
Get a laptop.  It's time.
You will be much more organized and prepared. 
And if you have the opportunity to take exams on computer, do it. 
At our school, none of the first year classes have computer exams.  Professors told us not to worry about handwriting.  That's bull.
Upper level professors will be upfront with you, and tell you that if you choose handwritten over computer they will not be happy.

maney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 08:48:15 PM »
Upper level professors will be upfront with you, and tell you that if you choose handwritten over computer they will not be happy.

Probably, we'll see!

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »
I understand that you believe that you suck at typing. However, this is your chance to get better at it. Computer skills are a must nowadays. I wouldn't worry so much about being a terrible typist come exams since you will have had about 3 mos. of typing practice by then.

Also, another advantage about having the laptop in class is that you will have access to Westlaw and Lexis... so if you'd like to see the unedited version of a case or perhaps look at a squib case you can.

_/

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 06:43:16 AM »

Probably, we'll see!

LOL maney! ;)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
I came to the conclusion that laptops are important solely because the professor wont be able to see what you are working on. 

If you've read any black letter law outlines or taken notes on the E&E series primers you can go over them while in class and maybe apply whatever you may have missed in the brief of a case to that.

Obviously if you're classes allow you to take exams on computers and are a fast typer then they are helpful.

NeXD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 12:53:54 PM »
Get a laptop, remove the games, and try to keep yourself off the internet.

Handwriting notes then outlining is a waste of time and you will end up having so many gaps in notes that you will spend more time gap filling.

danthrin44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 01:42:31 AM »
This will be my first year in law school as well.

I e-mailed one of my academic deans that I met at registration. He has always urged me to e-mail him if I had a random newbie question that couldn't wait till student orientation this saturday..

He said that it is preferrable that students use laptops daily in classrooms. Ofcourse, it's easy to get off track and instant message or websurf, but the laptop is a very helpful tool for note taking, researching a case etc etc.

In CA, the bar exam supposedly can be given to a student via laptop. My dean said that the CA Bar uses ExamSoft and that the school will try its best to mimic the bar exam during the mid-terms and finals.