Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I.A.N. Study Group  (Read 9318 times)

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
Re: I.A.N. Study Group
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2005, 10:19:09 AM »
legalkitty, I think keeping to what I did in undergrad is good advice, thank you.  I think I am going to do just that; handwriting notes in class and retyping with "extra" into my laptop after class.  And, I always briefed my cases in my laptop, took the hard copy to class and wrote all over it, then make changes after class.  That's what has worked in the past. A 2L at Widener warned me that she felt she screwed herself the first semester by trying to change.

No, I don't think that the orientation exam will be that in depth... I mean how much can you really cover with a 45 minute exam?  How do you know it's multiple choice?  Oh,... and if you don't pass, you get a second chance.  Remember... you are ahead of all of us because you passed TAP.  It is the TAP people that I am worried about in class.  I worked in one of the offices down in DE last summer and that was what each of the instructors told me... TAP people get the better grades.  But, if you think about it, it makes sense; you have already completed a semester.  All I keep telling myself is that I don't have anything to lose because it's free; if I try and fail then at least I tried, and when you try you never truly fail.  Wish me luck!

Oh good luck, YankyKitten, but I am sure you won't need it. I am sure that as long as we take the exam seriously, we'll do fine. It is probably just people that blow it off who don't do well. Don't worry!!
Our syllabus told us it is multiple guess/true false. I am sure they want us to pass it; I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
I definitely do feel less anxious than I think most people do because I went thru TAP, so that is nice to hear. I am sure we'll both do great. No worries and just enjoy the first day! ;D
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2005, 05:33:41 PM »
Well pour the Bob's... my first day is over!  It went rather well, I think.  I met the instructor I'll have for property and she's great!  She will be teaching us later in the week on how to take a law school exam.  I think that is a real plus... I'll know what she expects on her property exam.

The stuff seems pretty remedial so far, but, I took notes nonetheless, so I can see how everything will fit into their exam.  I spent the day with another Widener alumnus, so I didn't feel like I was all alone in a strange new world and I think that helped.  All in all, I would have to say it was a good day, and, so far, I'm not rethinking my decision.  Well, I have cases to brief...
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

robocop1840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 09:27:46 PM »
outstanding yanky,

let the games begin. I went to the campus todau and got my ID and my parking pass. next monday it begins for me.

godd luck

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2005, 08:59:48 AM »
outstanding yanky,

let the games begin. I went to the campus todau and got my ID and my parking pass. next monday it begins for me.

godd luck

Good luck everyone!!

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2005, 03:49:09 PM »
Well, keep the Bob's coming... we were introduced to the socratic method today.  Let me explain what happened...

The instuctor walks in and she passes out a handout.  Then she looks down at the roster and.... calls my name.  Yes, it happened to me.  Then she proceded to ask me questions for about 5 to 10 minutes about the case we were to prepare for today.  I need congratulations and more Bob's, because I answered them without becoming flustered and answered to her liking because she wrote the stuff on the board for the others.  (She did warn us that writing on the board for the benefit of all was just during orientation.)  Then she moved on... to her next victim.

I was told by a classmate that I did well, so, that's good.  However, I think I may break my diet and get a pizza. Stress

How's your orientation legalkitty?

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 08:54:07 AM »
Well, keep the Bob's coming... we were introduced to the socratic method today.  Let me explain what happened...

The instuctor walks in and she passes out a handout.  Then she looks down at the roster and.... calls my name.  Yes, it happened to me.  Then she proceded to ask me questions for about 5 to 10 minutes about the case we were to prepare for today.  I need congratulations and more Bob's, because I answered them without becoming flustered and answered to her liking because she wrote the stuff on the board for the others.  (She did warn us that writing on the board for the benefit of all was just during orientation.)  Then she moved on... to her next victim.

I was told by a classmate that I did well, so, that's good.  However, I think I may break my diet and get a pizza. Stress

How's your orientation legalkitty?

Oh Yanky, I can't believe your unfortunate luck!! Well, at least you showed her who was boss, right? :D

Orientation is going pretty well. It is nice to see the people from TAP (apparently 33 out of 65 or 70 made it). The class is a little boring but I am still excited to be there. Although i think we are all dreading the final on Saturday, right?

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 01:01:31 PM »
I, like a few others have been trying to figure out your thread name so I read a few of your posts for clues, dug around and I think I've figured it out.  (Who said that 1st year legal research class was useless?)  Anway, if I'm right, then I have to say that your name doesn't really fit you anymore seeing how you are attending law school. 

Good luck with classes and belated congratulations on your acceptances.  (Hope I didn't give away your secret identities)

-Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 04:21:55 PM »
legalkitty... wow! so at least half your TAP class made it; in DE I was told it was 5 out of around 80!  But... that doesn't suprise me, us PA people are smarter  ;) :D  ( those numbers were given to me by my friend who went through tap and may not be completely accurate )  Oh... our orientation exam is an essay; but, to put a positive spin on  things, we will have faced a law school essay exam before out Torts mid-term! 

jen...  yeah, I guess I could have come up with better name.  Most of us had our choice of school by the time the process started rolling along, but we had such commeraderie that we wanted a study group.  I guess it is more of a support group since none of us have the same profs.  Thanks for the congrats, and have a Bob's while your here!

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2005, 08:58:13 AM »
legalkitty... wow! so at least half your TAP class made it; in DE I was told it was 5 out of around 80!  But... that doesn't suprise me, us PA people are smarter  ;) :D  ( those numbers were given to me by my friend who went through tap and may not be completely accurate )  Oh... our orientation exam is an essay; but, to put a positive spin on  things, we will have faced a law school essay exam before out Torts mid-term! 

jen...  yeah, I guess I could have come up with better name.  Most of us had our choice of school by the time the process started rolling along, but we had such commeraderie that we wanted a study group.  I guess it is more of a support group since none of us have the same profs.  Thanks for the congrats, and have a Bob's while your here!

5 out of 80??!!! God, I am glad I didn't go there. Of course, then it would have been 6 out of 81! :D ;) They said that the % was really high this year for Harrisburg. I am glad our final is not essay; I am still recovering from my TAP finals!!

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2005, 03:35:18 PM »
Of course there would have been 6 out of 81!!  :D   Like I said, that info was from someone who went through TAP and he only knows of 4 other people from the class that made it through.

As for my practice exam today >:(  ???

WTF happened?  I knew the rule, but I only recieved half the points for that.  I knew the issue... only recieved half the points for that.  Hopefully, I will be able to get full points tomorrow by correcting what I did wrong today.  I had only just started to write the conclusion, so... 0pts there.  Now, that leaves me with the analysis section, and if I have to be honest... I'm really not sure I would have recieved the necessary 3.5 more points to pass. (I need 5.5 point out of 10).

Here's my problem... I know the rule, and the exception... I can guess at what issues they might throw at me.  But other than that, I really don't know if I should do anything else to prepare for tomorrow.