Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I.A.N. Study Group  (Read 9122 times)

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
I.A.N. Study Group
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:53:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I know this was robocop's idea to start this thread, but I thought maybe we could start it now and discuss some of the things we are encountering during our ls prep.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
Re: I.A.N. Study Group
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 01:16:48 AM »
I am so excited, thanks for re to link me in Yanky.

As far as prep,
I am trying to learn to use my new Dell tonight...

slow going....
lol
Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

robocop1840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 10:40:38 AM »
Hello All,

Yanky, thanks for starting the thread, I think it will be great way for us to stay in touch through this upcoming 1st year.

I have been reading as many of the "how-to" book as I can. I take them witha grain of salt and note some things that might be useful, but who knows until I get there.

I have a good friend, my ex-partner, who is a 3rd year at GMU. I have been in his ear alot. but it seems like all schools have little quirks that make them unique.

Like I posted on the other board..for fun I have been trying to watch as many law/lawyer type movies as I can.

Pluto- here is some Dell laptop advice-with your Dell they did not send you the Operating System Disk, they want you to make a copy through the dell utilty. email customer service and they will send you one free, well you already paid for it, thats why I say you should make them give it to you. anyway Thats what I did.I was a bit upset that they did not send me a copy of the XP disc that I paid for.

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »
Hello, hello!

I am currently reading the gilbert law summeries for first year.  Unfortunately, I have not been as diligent (sp?) as robocop... I'm hoping this thread will shame me into doing more. lol.

So far, I'm only having one problem with property... but then again, I'm still in chapter one.  That's not saying much, huh?  The actual problem is with replevin.

pluto, didn't you already do a year of law school?  If so... I may be bugging you quite a bit  ;)

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 12:03:59 AM »
Yes, I am such a LOSER... I did almost 2 full years of law school(6 years ago) and here I go again.... starting all over... I haven't even started prepping yet... I ordered LEEWS and am hoping my ebay seller is shipping it.... as I would like to get that done(w/ 4 kids no easy task) before school starts... I didn't do it last time and PLS2 really rec it... so we shall see....

Robo Thanks for the info... I will call and ask for the cd/disc ....If I paid for it, I should own it!

Yanky, I don't know how much help Ill be... but you can always ask :D
Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

AMSOL2008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 01:42:53 PM »
What does I.A.N stand for?

Anyways, I'm also on a summer prepping program. I've been applying Delaney's briefing technique to basic cases we will be encountering our first year. It's been very helpful. I want to get comfortable with briefing before school starts.

Books I've read: (Is it safe to say that I'm overly paranoid?)

1. Law School Confidential
2. Planet Law School II
3. Example & Explanations (Torts, K, Property, Civ Pro)
4. Learning Legal Reasoning by John Delaney
5. How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams by John Delaney
6. Introduction to Legal Reasoning by Edward Levi
7. Law 101 by Jay Feinman
8. JDJungle Guide to Law School
9. Turbulent Life of a 1L
10. Getting to Maybe
11. Acing Your First Year of Law School by Shana Connel Noyes
12. Slouching Towards Gomarrah by Robert Bork
13. Law Preview (a one week prep course) -www.lawpreview.com
14. LEEWS (Legal Essay Exam Writing System) www.leews.com
15. New American Bible (for motivation)

ormachea

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 02:00:19 PM »
And out of that list, which were your favorites?

AMSOL2008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
And out of that list, which were your favorites?

The Delaney books are very easy reads (~100 pages each) and do a wonderful job of walking you through legal analysis which is the crux of law school. You can have the BLL down cold, but if you can't apply it, you can pretty much forget about grading onto Law Preview. "Getting to Maybe" go more into depth about issue-spotting, but I recommend reading that later in the semester. As for now,a bird's eye view of the BLL is more than sufficient.

I have been attempted to buy a hornbook or two to learn about the underlying principles and polices behind each BLL, but I thought that was being way too OCD. I think I will wait until classes and let my profs enlighten me on the underlying policies and principles. Also, I've noticed that reading cases themselves is crucial to extracting principles/policies and determining whether a rule applies or not.

Contrary to some of the advice of seasoned Ls', I don't see how it behooves us to get a headstart on trying to understand/memorize the BLL. Like I said before, law school teaches you to "think, read, and read like a lawyer." They don't teach you the BLL. It's up to you , through outside independent study, to figure that on your own. So, I've been going through all the E&E's to try to familiarize myself with all the legal jargon and rules. By no means do I have a firm grasp of every rule and exception, but I understand enough to know how to approach most cases and hypos. But, I want to emphasize that although I know/understand the BLL, my legal reasoning is still very poor. No worries though - that is what law school is all about.

I also recommend "Law 101". It is another very easy (and entertaining) read, and it is written for "non-lawyers". The book walks you through the basic principles of all the courses you will be taking your first year.

Word of caution: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I am merely a 0L. I just know that all this prepping has made me a whole lot less anxious. Whether all this prepping will pay off is to be determined when I do/don't grade onto Law Review.

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
Well, I have received my first week's assignments for intro to law.  Doesn't seem too hard...

robocop1840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »
Yanky ,
when do your classes start???

We start Aug. 23.....

our schedules are suppose to be released next week