Law School Discussion

Study Abroad vs. Summer Employment

Angie4Prez

Study Abroad vs. Summer Employment
« on: June 17, 2005, 02:58:40 PM »
So I am already planning ahead for the summer after my first year at LS.  Just wanted to get some thoughts out their on the pro's and cons of studying abroad vs. working for a law firm after the completion of my 1L.

I am planning on going into International Law with a focus on international human rights.  The school I will be attending sponsors a great study abroad in Florence where the focus is on International and Comparative Law.  This program, as I have heard, is quite amazing and I would love to partake in it.  However, I know that many people try and land legal work after the completion of their first year of LS.  Would it be more beneficial to try and land work at a law office rather than study abroad?  Although my work responsibilities may be minimal, it would be a "resume builder" and perhaps enhance my standing in obtaining work after my 2L.  On the other hand, the experience of studying International/Comparative Law in Florence would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Assuming I can only do one or the other, which would you see as most beneficial?

Any thoughts and/or experiences with this out there?

Thanks,

-Paikea

GW2L

Re: Study Abroad vs. Summer Employment
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »
I don't know how long the Florence program is, but you could possibly do both.  I know several people that worked 3 weeks, are now in Germany, and will come back and work for the remainder of the summer.  There are a lot of flexible employers.  Good luck

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:52:49 PM »
I know a few people who are studying abroad for six weeks, and are also legally employed the rest of their time.  If you had to do one or the other, I'd say it's a safe bet that you'll be fine with the study abroad program. From what I understand 1L jobs are not the end-all-be-all - employers are just looking for some evidence that you're doing something law-related for the summer. If you did study abroad in Florence you would have some really fascinating conversation topics for 2L interviews. Just my two cents...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 10:23:38 AM »
Agreed.
I studied in Italy my 1L summer and then interned for 6 weeks for a judge.  Both were very helpful during fall OCI.  I'd say study abroad.  It's the type of experience that really enriches your life.  Clerking as a 1L in some law firm is not likely to to be as exciting.  I think the experience will be just as valid to your future employers.

Angie4Prez

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 09:28:27 PM »
From what it sounds like, doing both could be an option, which would be ideal.  Studying in Florence would be for 6 weeks, so I just figured finding work to fit around that would be tough.  Perhaps not though.

Thanks everyone for the advice.