Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can someone please help me decide on NYLS??  (Read 1446 times)

Nellabella

• View Profile
Can someone please help me decide on NYLS??
« on: June 17, 2005, 12:51:03 PM »
Hi. I have been admitted to NYLS but don't know if I should go.  I graduated in 2004 and have been working at a Big 4 Accounting firm. I hate my job. I know that a Bachelor's degree is nothing anymore so I definitely want to continue my studies. I know I want to go to law school but I need help in deciding if NYLS is the one, as I haven't been accepted anywhere else.  I am waitlisted at St. John's and would LOVE to go there but I think that getting in off the waitlist is a lost cause.  I know that NYLS is 3rd tier so I need to know if taking on so much debt is even worth it. I keep hearing that NYLS has bad job prospects and that I will have to be in the top 10% to get a good job.  I just don't want to go to law school and get a job where my starting salary is $60,000 a year.  With the loans I'll have, I won't be able to live on that.  Also, I took the LSAT twice already 151/155 and I don't think I'll be taking it again. So should I re-apply next year? I'm so upset b/c I thought that I had my life planned out and then I didn't get in anywhere! I have no idea what to do with my life now. UGHH

puzzle245

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can someone please help me decide on NYLS??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:56 PM »
I'll admit I don't know much about NYLS...  but I do think that you are better off with the degree than without one. 

Your prospects coming out of NYLS may not be as impressive as those of someone getting thier degree from a T1, but it just means you need to work harder.  Get in that top 10% and you won't have to worry so much.  And your prospects with any law school degree are still better than someone who doesn't have an upper level degree at all!

If you do decide to scrap the law school idea for this year and apply again in the fall, what will you be doing in the meantime to improve your chances of being accepted?  If you don't do anything worthwhile with this year, the same schools that turned you down now will probably still ding you later...

Finally, I know there are many people on this board who seem to be in this for the money.  And of course the potential for a six-figure salary is a draw for anyone.  But starting at $60,000 certainly isn't shabby.  Most of my friends coming out of undergrad are making between $25,000 and $40,000 and they have NYU debt! (and most of them have NYC rent to pay as well).  When my parents got married (given this was 23 years ago) they had a combined income of under $30,000... but they made do.  Will you be living the high life on $60,000?  Probably not.  Will you be living comfortably?  More than likely, especially if you aren't set on staying in New York City...

My opinion is: 

When making this decision, don't worry too much about the money.  We're only on this earth for some eighty-odd years if we're lucky...money really doesn't matter that much in the long run.  Worst case scenario: your kids pay it back 50 years from now with your life insurance money! 

Go to work hard and learn something.   Go for the intellectual stimulation.  Don't deprive yourself of what could be a great educational experience because you are hung up on issues of cost or prestige.

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 02:07:45 PM »
Quote: "If you do decide to scrap the law school idea for this year and apply again in the fall, what will you be doing in the meantime to improve your chances of being accepted?  If you don't do anything worthwhile with this year, the same schools that turned you down now will probably still ding you later..."

This is really the key. A lot of people, and books such as LSC, say that if you're going to law school with the goal in mind to get the good firm job, then don't go to the TTT school, even if you don't get into to a ranked school. If you're looking for public sector work, well, it doesn't matter where you go, you're not going to make a lot of money probably anyways, so go to the lesser ranked school and hopefully save some money.
BUT... you have to be proactive if you're going to wait and reapply. Do something to add to your resume. Get a job with a law firm, project assistant, legal courier, anything that will let you get a better feel for the legal professional environment. Take the Kaplans course, take practice LSATs. If you don't work on really making your application look better, not only will you once again not get accepted, but with current trends you'll get less from the schools you already did accept. Nationally, the competition gets tougher every year. So you have to really work at it.
In all, its a tough decision, but one only you can make.

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 02:23:06 PM »
But do you suggest that I take the LSAT a 3rd time? How much higher can I really get? Even if I get a 160, my 3 averaged scored will only be 155. I want to practice Real Estate law after school? Do you think I would have a good chance doing this in NYC graduating from NYLS?

Angie4Prez

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 02:28:14 PM »
I was accepted into NYLS but chose not to go.  It had nothing to do with it being a T3, or job prospects or how much money I would make.  I just decided I did not want to live in NY.  

If you really want to go to law school because you are motivated by learning the law and making a career at it, the money issue will work itself out.   I know several people that came out of NYLS, graduated in the middle of their class, and work for top law firms here in Seattle making more than enough money.  I know people who graduated from T4 schools, worked for several years at smaller firms where they gained the type of experience they would have never received at a "Wall Street" firm, and now work for firms such as Preston Gates Ellis and Perkins Coie making ample money.

Just go to the school that best suits you, take advantage of every opportunity you can while in school, and then pursue law with determination after graduating.  It will work out for you in the end.

And remember, if you wait and take the LSAT again, it will only be that much  tougher to get into schools next year.

llb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:36:50 PM »
Nellabella,

I have a similar dilemma.  I am planning to attend CUNY this Fall and I know that I want to do government/PI work so I will be struggling financially.  Eventhough CUNY tuition is low, I will still have to take out at least 20k a year to cover tuition and living expenses.  I will be nearly 90K in debt from undergrad, grad, and law school so this will be a huge risk.  I also am unhappy with my current profession and am so excited about CUNY despite its rankings yet I am still scared.  I justify my decision knowing that upon the completion of law school, I can begin a more fulfilling career.  I just fear that I will be unable to do public interest law in NYC with that much debt.

I could also wait a year and try to substantially increase my LSAT in hopes of obtaining scholarship at a better ranked school, but I feel CUNy is a great fit for me professionally and personally.

Good luck with your decision and know that you are not alone in this stressful process!   

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 03:47:56 PM »
I would recommend you consider NYLS over St. John's.  I always tell applicants not to choose a one NYC law school over another based on location.  But this is an exception.  NYLS is a much better location.  NYLS is right by the courts. 
But you will have to do really well in order secure a job. 

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 03:49:52 PM »
Don't take this as being rude but- what is so great about the proximity to the courts?  And St. John's is a Tier 2. I would think its much better than NYLS.

broke2005

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 08:51:02 PM »
To leoladybug,

If you want to go into PI work and are thinking about the cost of loans, look into the scholarships offered at your school and others you might want to attend.  At my school there are 5 full-ride scholarships for people committed to working the public sector after graduation.  That's something to consider, and usually isn't based on your GPA and LSAT, but rather on your essay.