Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on Getting Summer 1L Work  (Read 2593 times)

Grubesac

• View Profile
Advice on Getting Summer 1L Work
« on: June 17, 2005, 12:15:15 PM »
How difficult is it really to get paid summer work and what should be done to adequately prepare. My resume is dated, I've interviewed extensively in the past year finding work after undergrad and applying for other positions with Target Corporation, so the basics are covered. In a nutshell, what are employers looking for in 1L applicants?

It seems daunting, almost impossible, and definately cruel to have to look for work while embroiled in the grueling toils of 1L.  Should I try to find firm work (which is difficult I know), or should I try to find work tailored to my interests in politics and government. How do most of you all go about looking? Leads from your school? Self-Directed? Pseudo on campus "recruiting", job fair activities? 

Ruskiegirl, I know you live on this board as well as the Bay area, what are some highly regarded things to do in the city for 1L besides firm work? I'll be at Hastings and am interested to know what you think of the legal opportunties in SF. I am thinking of going into the public sector and am curious what some really cool opportunities might be, and then making informal contact with these entities as soon as I arrive. US Attorney's Office? Legal Aide society?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Getting Summer 1L Work
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 03:08:17 PM »
I went "self directed."  I don't like relying on other poeple like the career services at my school because if they drop the ball, I'm going to be pissed.  I ended up just going to the websites of where I was interested and just emailed them a zip file consisting of my resume, writing sample, my first semester soft grades, and coverletter. 

I applied to several gov entities (no private firms since I want to work for gov eventually) including PD, DA, and AG office. Just so you know, the AG office wants 2Ls so you may not qualify, as I didn't.  I ended up chosing the DA over the PD's office, because I think it will look better on the resume and also I think they offer more networking opportunities.

Grubesac

• View Profile
Re: Advice on Getting Summer 1L Work
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »
Thanks...Yeah, I remember the big bad job search after undergrad, I did some odd jobs for a while. Its a tough gig, but at least I have good experience at it and am not blind to the amount of work (or contacts in the right places) that it actually takes to get some things going.