Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seat deposit returned  (Read 1194 times)

marya

• View Profile
Seat deposit returned
« on: June 16, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »
Hi,
How can I get back my seat deposit from a T4 law school. I should never have sent it in but money is money. I am not sure what I was thinking when I even applied there but I want it back. Should I go with a sob story or outright tell them that they are a botom-of-the-barrel school and in no way will I attend.

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: Seat deposit returned
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »
I think it all depends on whether or not the seat deposit is refundable.  I know for my school it was a $850 seat deposit, and you got $250 back if you let them know you no longer were attending (in writing) by June 1st.  I was accpeted to other schools that said it was nonrefundable.  I doubt the sob story would work, but you would have a MUCH better chance then telling the school that they are lower than pond scum. Call them and find out if there is anyway to get it back.  Depending on what they say, take it from there.  You don't even have to tell them who you are, just ask the general question.

marya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:10:32 PM »
What if I threatened to sue Roger Williams if they didn't return it even if it was non-refundable?  ould they balk?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 02:37:08 PM »
I don't see why you want a refund if it's your fault???  If it said non-refundable, then that's that. Just suck it up and move on. What you were thinking was that this 4th tier was a safety school, and now that you got into something better, doesn't justify you suing them.  Being a lawyer or knowing one or being in the field of law doesn't mean you just start suing everyone just because. And just to re-emphasize, you are the one that messed up, not them. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 03:21:03 PM »
LOL.  How do you tell a LAW SCHOOL that you are going to sue them?  That's funny.  The place is filled with soon to be and current lawyers and you, with no law degree are going to sue them?  And you think that will make them worried?  How much of a deposit could it possibly have been for you to even be thinking this way?  Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on.  As a future 1L, I'm sure you have A LOT more important things to be concerned with.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 06:48:51 PM »
I concur, you should just move on. It was your decision to send in the deposit, and most ppl know that those deposits are non-refundable, at least the majority of it. No use in crying about it now. Just be glad you're going to a better school and move on.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 12:45:22 AM »
LOL.  How do you tell a LAW SCHOOL that you are going to sue them?  That's funny.  The place is filled with soon to be and current lawyers and you, with no law degree are going to sue them?  And you think that will make them worried?  How much of a deposit could it possibly have been for you to even be thinking this way?  Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on.  As a future 1L, I'm sure you have A LOT more important things to be concerned with.

LOL. I'm sure they'll be worried about a soon-to-be-1L who is arguing about $500, so s/he probably has no money to even sue. And then there's Roger Williams who has millions.

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:19:19 AM »
What if I threatened to sue Roger Williams if they didn't return it even if it was non-refundable?  ould they balk?

I hope this isn't the same way you feel when you get out.  There are already too many people who just sue because they can and we don't need more lawyers who support these individuals.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 11:04:41 AM »
If they are a bottom of the barrel then why did you apply in the first place & not to mention send you deposit in??? ???  Sounds to me like you knew exactly what you were doing.

Hi,
How can I get back my seat deposit from a T4 law school. I should never have sent it in but money is money. I am not sure what I was thinking when I even applied there but I want it back. Should I go with a sob story or outright tell them that they are a botom-of-the-barrel school and in no way will I attend.

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »
Why did you post this on more than one board?  Did you expect different answers?