Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planet Law School II Preparation Schedule  (Read 5049 times)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Planet Law School II Preparation Schedule
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 11:56:37 AM »
you had no open book exams?  that's rough.
Most of my exams have been full open book, and for most of them commercial outlines were permitted.  My rule is open book means I bring a library to that exam.  I don't care what anyone thinks.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 12:22:30 PM »
What?????? You had open book exams too!!!! Life is so unfair.  ;)
That's really cool that you were allowed to bring things in to your exams. I spent the semester doing memory exercises because I had a hard time memorizing things.

you had no open book exams?  that's rough.
Most of my exams have been full open book, and for most of them commercial outlines were permitted.  My rule is open book means I bring a library to that exam.  I don't care what anyone thinks.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 12:25:28 PM »
I bought one of my casebooks from someone who used that rainbow method from LSC. The book is a mess. I pretty much stopped using the book. I don't think the person had a clue as to what he was doing. I agree with you on the briefing. I like the beginning parts of Learning Legal Reasoning. Some of that stuff helped me in legal writing.

I agree that no one should be criticized for any reading or preparation they do over the summer.  But I do recommend keeping it on the downlow.

Prepping might also help a student get bad habits out of the way early on, like briefing cases.  Everyone eventually stops briefing cases, that's why it helps to break the habit before the real stuff begin.  I used that first week in law school - what do they call it, legal process? - to do everything the law school way. Then I was able to ditch it quickly with my real assigments. 

Let me make one suggestion about Law Student Confidential - don't do the multiple highlighter thing.  It's too much frustration, and all you get it out of it is an eight pound coloring book.  It was a good idea for the pre-laptop era.  In this century, you should be taking notes on your laptop. 

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 03:24:33 PM »
I just ordered PLS2 to see what all the hype is about.  The orginal poster looks apparently like a promoter for the book.  From all accounts Atticus is a real jerk.  Regardless I am unfortunately going to see if I can find anything useful out of the book.  I have already taken a Law Preview class which I found very helpful.  Most of my friends in law school have told me to relax this summer, and do some reviewing if needed.

I want to read as much as I can, but I also want to study smart (I'm such an Atticus Falcon protege).

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 04:58:25 PM »
If you think Law Preview is all you need that's fine. The OP isn't a promoter. I think he just read the book and got excited without looking at some other active threads. If you don't want to read the book then you don't have to. But don't approach the book with the idea that it will have all the answers. Besides it's starting to get late for people to get the books and start prepping. I know a lot of people who thought Law Preview was a waste of money. You thought it was helpful. The OP thinks PLS is helpful. What's the problem? Two different methods.

I just ordered PLS2 to see what all the hype is about.  The orginal poster looks apparently like a promoter for the book.  From all accounts Atticus is a real jerk.  Regardless I am unfortunately going to see if I can find anything useful out of the book.  I have already taken a Law Preview class which I found very helpful.  Most of my friends in law school have told me to relax this summer, and do some reviewing if needed.

I want to read as much as I can, but I also want to study smart (I'm such an Atticus Falcon protege).

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 08:09:47 PM »
I've just enjoyed reading some cases and learning to brief a little bit.  Even if it doesn't help that much, at least I am getting some exposure to the law and it wont be totally foreign come August.

bkbk5

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 08:57:39 PM »
I totally agree with you.  From all accounts, the first year (and first semester, in particular) are extremely difficult.  Anything I can do to hedge myself against getting my ass kicked this fall is worth it!  Despite some of the critisims on this (and other) threads about PLS-2 and its prep schedule, almost everyone I talk to who has seriously followed it has done well.  Some are transferring to Georgetown this fall, and some are in the top of their class at top-20 schools. 
You CAN'T argue with that!  At the end of the day, it all comes down to grades.  If you want to get a job after the next 3 years, YOU MUST perform in law school (especially during 1L).  If PLS-2 can help me prepare for my top performance, then God Bless Atticus Falcon. 

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 10:04:28 PM »
Well good luck to everyone their first year. Whatever you do be it PLS, Law School Confidental or Getting to Maybe, remember those are just the starting points. You have to work hard. Also remember that your professors might say something that is different than what is in the E&Es and commerical outlines. If that's the case then you used your professors' definitions on your exams. Your professor is the audience when you write your exams. Also talk to 2Ls and 3Ls who had your professors. If you want to talk to the 2Ls and 3Ls who had your professors and did well then talk to the ones who are members of your school's law review. Finally what works for one person might not work exactly for you but there's no reason why you can't change things around a bit.

I totally agree with you.  From all accounts, the first year (and first semester, in particular) are extremely difficult.  Anything I can do to hedge myself against getting my ass kicked this fall is worth it!  Despite some of the critisims on this (and other) threads about PLS-2 and its prep schedule, almost everyone I talk to who has seriously followed it has done well.  Some are transferring to Georgetown this fall, and some are in the top of their class at top-20 schools. 
You CAN'T argue with that!  At the end of the day, it all comes down to grades.  If you want to get a job after the next 3 years, YOU MUST perform in law school (especially during 1L).  If PLS-2 can help me prepare for my top performance, then God Bless Atticus Falcon. 

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 01:23:09 AM »
Your professor is the audience when you write your exams. Also talk to 2Ls and 3Ls who had your professors. If you want to talk to the 2Ls and 3Ls who had your professors and did well then talk to the ones who are members of your school's law review.

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you go about determining who is on law review and who isn't?  I mean, it would be rude to go around asking, "Hey, are you on Law Review?", especially considering that it is against "law school etiquette" to discuss grades and the like (source: LSC, et al.).  The only other thing I can think of would be to "barge" into the Law Review office at your school and start asking people questions.  Of course, I'm exaggerating a little.  Both of these approaches could be done more politely, but I'm sure you get the gist of my question/concern.

Finally what works for one person might not work exactly for you but there's no reason why you can't change things around a bit.

One more question - this one is in regard to this quote.  You stated earlier that one essentially needs to follow LEEWS exactly how it is supposed to be followed, or else it will/might not work.  This is not consistent with the quote above.  To speak in LSAT terms - resolve the paradox for me please.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 01:44:08 AM »
What I did was pretty simple. I went to the office of the editor in chief of the law review and asked for a print out of the 2Ls on law review. I did it politely. I just told her that I wanted to talk to some of the best students from the prior year. I talked to a 2L who was in my section in the prior year and she looked at the list and identified the ones on the list who were in her section. Then I approached them individually. The whole thing maybe took me 2 days. At the beginning of school, many 2Ls and 3Ls are pretty helpful.

Before I started school, I knew that at most schools people graded on to law review. So instead of just listening to the advice of random 2Ls or 3Ls, I thought it would be more effective to talked to the people who did well their first year and graded on to law review. I didn't waste time asking them what they did, etc. I basically just asked about my professors, copies of their exams and answers, etc. There were a few people who didn't know how they did well. But the ones who did know were very helpful. A 3L on law review gave me copies of the practice exams and answers for my contracts class and a copy of the final exam. My contracts professor either is lazy or busy but he used those same practice exams and he used a similar question from the 3L's final exam.

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you go about determining who is on law review and who isn't?  I mean, it would be rude to go around asking, "Hey, are you on Law Review?", especially considering that it is against "law school etiquette" to discuss grades and the like (source: LSC, et al.).  The only other thing I can think of would be to "barge" into the Law Review office at your school and start asking people questions.  Of course, I'm exaggerating a little.  Both of these approaches could be done more politely, but I'm sure you get the gist of my question/concern.

Finally what works for one person might not work exactly for you but there's no reason why you can't change things around a bit.

One more question - this one is in regard to this quote.  You stated earlier that one essentially needs to follow LEEWS exactly how it is supposed to be followed, or else it will/might not work.  This is not consistent with the quote above.  To speak in LSAT terms - resolve the paradox for me please.

There is no paradox. I wasn't talking about Leews. I meant change things around in a broad way like scheduling. For example, I did most of the readings for my classes on the weekend which free up my week for working on hypos and practice exams. Someone else might not be able to do the weekend reading. Or another example, I don't think briefing is effective but some people think that it helps them. It clearly states in Leews and its website that you have to do the program exactly as stated for it to work or go to the seminars. If you don't do the seminars and just do the tape or cd package, he has "exercises" that need to be done a couple of times a week. Hope this clears things up for you.