Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: January 1Ls?  (Read 10761 times)

sak

• View Profile
Re: January 1Ls?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 01:55:15 PM »
I am originally from Ohio and live in Nevada right now. I do like the two years option also. Where are you from in Canada?

natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 02:16:29 PM »
Hey Sak,

I live in Ottawa, Ontario. It's about a two hour west of Montreal (Quebec) and a 4 hour drive north east from Toronto.

Did you find a place already?  I hear rent is cheap in Lansing.

N

sak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 02:17:49 PM »
I was wondering where you were from, my dad is from Quebec.
I found a place downtown lansing, within walking distance or you could ride the bus, for $440 a month with utilities included.

cooley 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 02:39:54 PM »
I am starting in the fall as well and I am about to head out to Lansing in the next few days to alook for a place. Can any of you (Sak especially since you found a place) give me any insight? I would rather pay a little more and get something decent in return.
Also from Canada (Toronto)
Send me a PM with your emails, hopefully we'll meet up one day on campus!

;)

natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 02:47:35 PM »
Wow!  Is it nice, in a safe location, etc.?  Is it a one bedroom or a bachelor?

sak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 02:51:21 PM »
I just PM you. Natalie

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 06:33:10 PM »
Hey Sarbinson1,

How do you know it's really competitive at Cooley...are you currently attending? I would like to know more if you can expand further.

Cheers.

Nope, just based on what I've heard from friends who are pretty well versed in law schools.  I'm an incoming 1L at a different school.

Thamps2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
Wow, finally got up to lansing and wow, lots of chatter!!  I'm also a January 1l, living in East Lansing.  I dig it up here!  I also got the 75% but not doing it in two years.  I met a student there that did it in two years and she said it just about killed her.  She had no life whatsoever, and really didn't even have to to socialize at Cooley.  I'd prefer to go full year part time fro the first 5 sessions, take an internship and finish full time to end it in 2 1/2 years.  It's difficult (answering someone elses question) for a number of reasons, but mainly there's no reading week before tests and there's no days in between tests like at other schools.  All tests are taken in one week.  No books or notes allowed either.  I think the att. rate is so high because of the caliber of students coming in.  A lot of students just didn't realize what they're getting themselves into.  If anyone needs help finding a place let me know, but check out the lansing state journal, ad Cooley also has an office that can help you out.

polyhymnia23

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - polyhymnia23
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 08:58:38 AM »
 ;D I currently live in Lansing, Mi. I will be attending Cooley in May 2006...woohoo! Rent isn't bad here at all. If you are interested in a place, let me know and I can tell ya what I know about it!

legalcowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 10:44:41 PM »
Guys,

I am finishing my third term at Cooley.

1. Do not take 5 classes-which is a full load and will allow u to finish in 2 yrs.  It is insane.  The amount of work will be near impossible.  Alot of us take 3 or 4 classes a term.  This school requires you to know ALOT of information.  Exam's are very detail oriented.  Trust me, take 4 at the max to start.  You have no idea what your getting into.

2. The attrition rate is very high.  But consider a # of things.  1st, the large amount of students.  2nd, the large amount of students with very marginal scores.  3rd, not all are academic dismissals, half are transfer students. 4th, the difficulty of the school.  It is not a cake walk here.  They make it very demanding.  There is no inflationary grading.  The average grade is a C.  You will see more D's and F's at Cooley than you have ever seen before.  They don't hesitate to fail people here.  Be ready to live and breath the law and law school for 3 solid yrs.

Take my word for it ;D