Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I will appreciate some pieces of advice(>_<)  (Read 833 times)

dulce

• View Profile
    • Email
I will appreciate some pieces of advice(>_<)
« on: June 14, 2005, 04:36:31 PM »
Hello.  I am a 20-year-old Japanese female student who is considering to go to a law school in USA.  I've been researching about being a lawyer and I could get general info. about law schools.  However, I am more interested in how law school students are feeling about their schools.  I hear it is really difficult and the tasks and everything take it out of you. I know it varies according to the school, but are the classes in law schools at the level which a non-native English speaker could handle?  Knowing this is hard to answer, I could really use it(>_<)  I still have 2 more years before I graduate my university, but it's better to see things in advance.  And if there are any law students who kindly could be a friend or someone I can talk to, I would love to have some(>_<)!!  Thank you in advance for your replies!lol

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: I will appreciate some pieces of advice(>_<)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »
There is a woman in my class who is originally from China,and English is obviously he secondary language.  Her speaking is broken at times, but she seems to do well.  The teachers are very patient, giving her time to work through the language when asking or answering a question.  I would think it would be more important to be able to write fluently than to speak fluently.  Sorry I can't offer any first hand experience or advice, but like I said, this woman seems to do fairly well--she definitely knows her stuff, even if it takes her a minute to get it out.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:40:57 PM »
There are several people in my class which English is not their native language.  They don't talk much but they made it.

In general, all students, no matter what school they attend, will struggle their first year.  It's not so much the difficulty in material, but more the amount of work and how successfully and effectively you use your time. After the first year, you pretty much have figured out what you did wrong and what you did right. 

On a side note, I'm not sure about Japan, but there are several students in my class which are in a LLM program.  They got their legal degrees from their native country, then come over to the US to get their LLM, which is only 1 year of school. I believe that once you get the LLM and pass the bar, then you can practice in the state you pass the bar in. Again, I'm not 100% sure but this may be a better avenue. 

dulce

• View Profile
    • Email
thank you>_<
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 12:32:54 PM »
Kristin, Zemog, thank you both very much for the replies. 

Kristin:  Im very relieved to know that foreign students can actually handle law school classes also.  I can write without troubles.  I was more concerned about right-away-expected answers and what not, if you see what Im trying to discribe>_< cos I have this image for law school students, which might be stereotypical, that they all speak really fast and harshly. (no offense included, they seem smart anyway.) but I appreciate your response.  thank you very much again!

Zemog:  currently, I go to a 4 year university, but am not majoring in law.  I did think about having law degrees first then going to LLM, but it takes much longer time.  I know the common way Japanese take for law schools is the one you mentioned.  but I kinda want to take the 3-year course.  I dont know, it seems more...stimulating, or seems to give me enough time to get used to law.  I dont know, maybe Im making no sense>_<  its just...my plan has just started.  I will take your advice seriously tho.  thank you!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »
Don't know if you have gone over there already, but there is a pre-law side to this board which may also be able to help you. As you know, people on this side of the board pretty much has started or graduated from law school, but the pre-law side people are more like you, deciding what to do, how to write a personal statement, which school to go to, etc. 

In any case, both boards are very helpful and will be more than happy to give you advice.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/

Legal Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:14:48 AM »
Where do you go to school? Tokyo U?

dulce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 10:50:17 AM »
Zemong:  I will check the pre-law side.  thank you for the URL(^_^)

legal eagle:  I go to school in Osaka.  its called Osaka University of Foreign Studies.  the one thats likely to be joined with Osaka University in a few years.

dulce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 10:52:10 AM »
sorry, thought I had typed zemog, but it shows an unnecessary n.  gomen ne Zemog(>_<)