Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School Reputation  (Read 5796 times)

HoustonLaw

• View Profile
School Reputation
« on: June 13, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »
I am now officially a 2L at TSU. I love the school. The professors are stellar and I can't imagine the curriculum being that much different than other law schools. However, looking forward two years, I want to know that I can get a job. I worked my butt off to be on the top 10% after the first year and plan to big my claws in and stay there. Does anyone know the general consensus of how those in the know view Thurgood Marshall Law School? Are we automatically at a disadvantage? South Texas is also a fourth tier law school w/ pretty much the same admission requirements, so why do we have such a problem getting firms to come to our school?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: School Reputation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 01:05:43 PM »
I wish I saw this post a few weeks ago. If you are in the top 10% at TSU, you should have put in a transfer application at UH or UT. South Texas has a better reputation than TSU because their bar passage rates are up, they hired more distinguished professors, their trial advocacy program is one of the best in the country and many firms in Houston have had good experiences with graduates from the school. South Texas is not a great law school. It's still T4 along with TSU and only the top students at the school get great jobs. But all those above factors I listed along with its location gives it an edge to TSU. As long as you stay in the top 10% at TSU you should be okay. I don't know if you will a job at Baker Botts but you should be okay. But you should have transferred. If you have to stay at TSU then get on law review, moot court, etc.

I am now officially a 2L at TSU. I love the school. The professors are stellar and I can't imagine the curriculum being that much different than other law schools. However, looking forward two years, I want to know that I can get a job. I worked my butt off to be on the top 10% after the first year and plan to big my claws in and stay there. Does anyone know the general consensus of how those in the know view Thurgood Marshall Law School? Are we automatically at a disadvantage? South Texas is also a fourth tier law school w/ pretty much the same admission requirements, so why do we have such a problem getting firms to come to our school?

JusticeJunkie

• View Profile
Re: School Reputation
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 12:34:14 AM »
From one 4T student to another, don't be discouraged.  Your school doesn't make you, you make your school.  And while a big law school name may increase your chances of getting a good job, it doesn't guaruntee it.  You are doing very well!  Keep it up and who knows what will open up for you.  I attended Howard (a fellow HBCU) in undergrad so I understand how things can go sometimes but keep doing your best and it will work out.