Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting to get scared  (Read 2249 times)

Nellabella

• View Profile
Starting to get scared
« on: June 13, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »
I just got accepted to NYLS from the waitlist.  This is my only acceptance, so for a while before this, I didn't think that law school was going to happen for me.  I was really upset and depressed b/c I had based my future around going. When I first got the NYLS acceptance, I was ecstatic. Now that I'm thinking of all the debt I will have, I'm starting to get very nervous. People are telling me to make sure that I want to go law school 100% before committing to this.  My problem is that I don't think I am 100% sure. I worked for as a paralegal for a year during college and that was when I decided to pursue law. I've been out of school for a year now. Are these pre 1L jitters or should I re-think the whole thing?

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: Starting to get scared
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:20:21 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say some of what you're feeling is jitters.  However, if you are seriously doubting whether or not you want to make the three-year (and multi-thousand dollar) committment to law school, give it some more thought before you decide to go.  Talk to people you know in law school and/or browse around these boards and see what law students really think about and do during their three/four years.

If you're just nervous about starting, that's completely normal.  If you really want to go, don't freak yourself out of law school before you start.   ;)

Good luck!

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 03:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the response JD.  I'm a somewhat nervous person as it is.  I'm just getting really worried. What if I can't handle the pressure? What if I can't do the work?  But I'm also afraid that if I don't go, I'll always regret it.  I have talked to students and reading these boards can be depressing at times. Everyone says the same thing, be sure I REALLY want to go. 

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:33:59 PM »
Do NOT let these boards freak you out.  A lot of people (including me, sometimes) come here when they need to blow off some steam.   :P  Just read through them so you can get an idea of what kind of experiences people are having.   

Almost everyone has concerns about the pressure and the workload.  As far as the work goes, nothing is insanely difficult.  I firmly believe that most people in the world could make it through law school if they had more than three years in which to do it; the most intense thing is learning how to manage your time.  Obviously, other people's opinions might differ, but that's mine. 

By the way, if you have any questions or anything and don't want to post them publicly, send me a PM and I'll help you out any way I can. 

Nellabella

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:42:38 PM »
Thanks so much!  ;)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 06:07:07 PM »
I suppose it is a good time to re-evaluate the reasons for law school, the bar exam, and 'lawyering.'

First consider that there is in the proximity of 750,000, or more, lawyers currently practicing in the US. That number does not include law school grads who haven't been admitted to the Bar and lawyers who do not have an active license to practice.

Why would I consider all of that debt for an education? Does the US really need more lawyers?
It is a scary thought, since people, including lawyers, are retiring at a later age--hence the number of lawyers is likely to increase at a faster rate.

Perhaps the US doesn't need more lawyers; it seems some law firms are too busy and others not busy enough. But,the constantly changing society requires new things .Perhaps the US needs a different type of lawyer.

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

osulinds

• MSN Messenger - lindseymj@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 06:32:04 PM »
I'd look at whatever state you plan on practicing in.  While there may be a lot of opportunity in some states, other states have a pretty saturated lawyer market.  Since you are worried about the debt, consider what the average starting salary is in the state and keep in mind that half make lower than what is stated.  Is it going to be enough so that you can make your loan payments and have a life too?  Also, I'd look at the Bar passage rate and job placement at your school and whatever state you want to practice in to make sure you aren't going to be at the end with a dismal chance of passing the Bar or even finding a job.  These are things that I kinda skimmed over when I made my decision to go to my law school but now wish that I'd have researched more in depth.

Law school is a huge commitment, but its very rewarding at the same time.  Since you've been exposed to the work lawyers actually do (as a paralegal) you probably know the realities of being a lawyer.  It's not as glamorous as some would like it to believe.  Sounds to me like you just have the jitters, but follow your guy on this one. You still have a couple more months before you have to make the final decision. :)

ShannonLippy

• A Mick Lawyer-in-The-Making
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SKLwuzHEREx
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:31:08 PM »
I'm pretty nervous myself, so don't feel bad. I'm starting soon, and it's something I've always wanted to do. A life-long dream in fact. And I almost didn't get accepted into any schools either. Now I'm feeling cold feet at the thought of 3 + years of my life dedicated to something that will costs lots of money and hard work. Will it be worth it? Will I be able to do it? I'm sure those of us entering fresh are having these same feelings all across the board. And those who've gone through it probably had similar thoughts.

There are no gurantees in life. All I can say is, I know if I back out now, I'll never know, and always regret it. I may not make it, I may completely suck. But I have to try. You have nothing to gain if you don't give it your best shot. I'm sure you can do it. Just go for it, and if after the first few weeks you feel it isn't for you, you still have time to get out of all that debt. Just make sure that whatever you do, you have faith in yourself! ;)

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"---someone famous :-P

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 12:10:09 AM »
I suppose it is a good time to re-evaluate the reasons for law school, the bar exam, and 'lawyering.'

First consider that there is in the proximity of 750,000, or more, lawyers currently practicing in the US. That number does not include law school grads who haven't been admitted to the Bar and lawyers who do not have an active license to practice.

Why would I consider all of that debt for an education? Does the US really need more lawyers?
It is a scary thought, since people, including lawyers, are retiring at a later age--hence the number of lawyers is likely to increase at a faster rate.

Perhaps the US doesn't need more lawyers; it seems some law firms are too busy and others not busy enough. But,the constantly changing society requires new things .Perhaps the US needs a different type of lawyer.

Jesus H. Christ...

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 12:11:14 AM »
Oh yeah, so as not to ignore the OP, everyone else gave good advice. Talk to people and see what your heart tells you.