Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer to HYSCC  (Read 3889 times)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer to HYSCC
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 03:49:44 PM »
The discussion about the difficulty of getting into these three schools and what they required from transfer applicants has been discussed repeatedly on the Yahoo transfer board. Also the people in the database who transfer to Harvard were either waitlisted the previous year. I haven't seen anyone in that database who successfully transfer to Yale or Stanford. I have told people repeatedly that they need to check out the Yahoo transfer board. The three schools require your UGPA and LSAT score. Any info I know about the three schools is received from the Yahoo transfer board and the posts on that board.

You're right I might have inadvertently blended Harvard's policy with the other two law schools. My professor gave me a copy of the revised How to Get Into the Top Schools which has a breakdown of the top schools--the applications they receive and the #s admitted. Also Deloggio has a transfer chart on her website. Also call the schools. So far in this transfer cycle, I had to pay LSAC to send my reports to the schools.

actually, ONLY Harvard's website says that. Yale or Stanford's transfer guidelines don't say anything about a transfer applicant needing to have an LSAT/GPA combo that would've been waitlisted at their schools for entrance as a 1L. Are you just assuming that, because Harvard is that difficult for transfers, that Yale and Stanford have to be by default? Or do you actually have a source for this information?

here's the link:

http://www.law.yale.edu/outside/html/Admissions/admis-jdtransfer.htm

all they say that's required is an undergrad degree and a year at an accredited law school.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer to HYSCC
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 04:26:18 PM »
I modify the info above. But in the revised How to get into the Top Law schools where he beefed up the transfer section; Yale accepted 10 to 12 people from 80 to 120 applications and Stanford accepted just 5 to 10 from 80 to 100 applications. Also in Deloggio's chart, it states that you have to be the top student at your school for Yale not just 5 to 10%. Also on the transfer board someone got into Harvard last year being the #1 person in his class with a 3.87, UGPA 3.06, LSAT score 179 but he didn't get into Yale and Stanford. Someone else who went to Cornell got into Harvard with a 3.74/10%, a UGPA of 4.0, a combined LSAT of 165 but didn't get into Yale. Another person got into Harvard with a 3.9, nonlisted UGPA, LSAT 170ish. There are a bunch of Yale and Stanford rejections on the database. The only person on that board who got into Yale last year came from Northwestern, was top 7-10%, had a foreign undergrad degree and a 168 LSAT score.

One other sidenote:  Stanford says it only accepts applicants to the extent that it has vacancies in the class.  Yet it appears there are some years where they have NO vacancies in their class.

In these years, could it be possible *gasp* that they accept NOBODY as a transfer?  Or do you think that's there to keep the number of transfer apps down?