Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone in and looking for a roommate for Fall 2005?  (Read 8699 times)

samt

• View Profile
Anyone in and looking for a roommate for Fall 2005?
« on: June 11, 2005, 12:04:39 AM »
I've been accepted into the part-time night program and will be looking for a roommate if anyone's interested.  I'll be in Little Rock July 10th-14th to look at places.  Write me back if anyone's interested.

Sgrholawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone in and looking for a roommate for Fall 2005?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:03:47 AM »
Im not looking for a roommate, but I need a place to live. Any suggestions???????

Samantha

samt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 12:46:18 PM »
I'll be in Little Rock from July 10th to the 13th or 14th and I'll be looking for a place near the law school then.  I'll post everything that I find out on this board when I get back.  In the meantime you may want to check out the online classifieds in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette.  What I've done a few times is put the law school address on a mapquest map and then look for apartment complexes on citysearch or through the classifieds and call them.  The problem is that both times I did this I got very few call backs.  Good luck and I'll post ASAP when I return from my trip.

hoovusmc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
Try contacting the admin at the law school.  I stopped in May and they are willing to assist.  Student services provides help for this.  I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

LawGirl08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 05:39:31 PM »
hey guys.  my name is kandi and i'll be attending ualr in the part-time night division.  i'm originally from little rock but went to duke for undergrad.  my family has seen moved to Maryland and i've only been back to little rock a few times in the last several years.  however, i do know the areas pretty well and hopefully, will be able to give some apt. hunting tips.  the best areas to live in are west little rock (midtown), downtown by the rivermarket, on cantrell rd or in north little rock close to jfk and mccain blvd's.  little rock is not a huge city, so even if you lived in nlr, the commute is about 15 (i had to drive it everyday in high school as i lived in little rock but attended school in nlr).  west little rock is a VERY nice area close to the city's interstates, etc.  the rivermarket has been completely revamped (due to the clinton library) and have pretty nice lofts down there.  cantrell rd is a part of west lr, however, they are a bit further out and tend to be a little less expensive.  north little rock has the cheapest rates, but again, you have to consider the commute.  id suggest going to apartmentguide.com and request a hard copy of the apartment guide.  when you get it, just call the apartment complexes and request a brochure and an application.  they have pretty quick turnarounds.  i hope this helps and if anyone has any other questions about the city in general, pls feel free to email me.  can't wait to meet you all!

samt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 07:04:01 PM »
     Kandi, I'm in the part-time program as well!  Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a job?  All my experience is in the restaurant business (one of my last jobs was opening up a bar) but I think I wouldn't mind working in the law library or giving tours on campus if it came down to it (I definetly don't want to work a job as stressful as any in the restaurant business while in law school!).  Do you know if it would be difficult to get in at a firm doing any kind of clerical work if you have no direct experience? 
     Thanks in advance for any advice and I can't wait to see everyone in the fall as well!

Amy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »
I haven't decided yet if I want to have a roommate or get a one bdrm apt. I'm thinking somewhere in the Riverdale area, does andybody know anything about it?  I'm going back the second week in July to look for places.
As for the roommate thing, I don't smoke and I don't have pets. Um.....I'm from Charlotte, NC but went to college at UNC Wilmington (where Dawson's Creek was filmed), and I did Americorps in San Antonio, Texas for a year. I'm 24. I'm not sure what else anybody wants to know. It's getting kind of close so if anybody else is possibly thinking about a roommate, please post something.
Amy

Amy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 04:24:26 PM »
I forgot to add that I'm in the full time program, if that matters to anybody.\Amy

samt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 07:52:22 PM »
     I think Amy has a good idea as far as throwing out some background info to potential roommates.
     I'm 25 and from Hot Springs, Arkansas, a town about 45 minutes away from Little Rock. I have a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy from Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee (some of my favorite subjects were Chinese Philosophy and Wittgenstein).  I've also studied in Hong Kong for a semester (business), Costa Rica and Uruguay (Spanish), and spent a sememster at the University of Illinois at Chicago studying Anthropology.  I'm a Phi Delt for any of you fraternity guys out there.
     I'm agnostic and fairly liberal but don't force my views on others. I have an eleven month old daughter who lives in Nashville and whom I will be visiting one weekend a month.  I'll be bringing her down twice a year, one week during Christmas and during Spring Break.  I won't have her at the apartment then as I'll be taking her near her family in Hot Springs so don't worry about having a baby at the apartment.  I have a fiance who lives in Nashville as well who will be spending about a year to half a year in Germany but will probably come down to visit a few times before she leaves.
     I'm clean, don't smoke, quit partying after my daughter was born but do still appreciate good wine and drink (I have an extensive restaurant background). I don't want to live with a messy roommate and would prefer not to live with someone with a pet unless the pet was kept fairly clean. 
     Ideally I'd live as close to the law school as possible so I could walk or bike instead of drive everyday.  I'm in the part-time program and may or may not work (if I do it'll be no more than 20 hours a week).  Feel free to grab my e-mail off the list-serv or post if anyone is interested.  Like I posted earlier, I'll be in Little Rock from July 10th through the 13th to check things out.

LawGirl08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:41:34 PM »
hey guys.  i think this is a good idea!  my name is kandi.  i graduated from duke university this past may with a BA in Public Policy and a Certificate in Health Policy. I will be attending the part-time program and depending on how i feel in may, transfer into the full time program. 

i'm orginally from little rock but my family moved to DC my freshmen year so i'm excited as all hell to get back home to see family and friends. i'm a member of alpha kappa alpha sorority and hope to be as actively involved in arkansas as i was at duke.  in terms of living arrangements, i'm hoping to stay in a townhome in west little rock.  i'm going down in july to solidify some things and buy furniture.  i don't plan on having a roommate..as i've lived on my own for the past 3 years (well, me and my pekingese brooklynn). 

i love life and am enjoying my summer doing absolutely nothing...no work, all play (and going to the gym).  the one thing i'll miss about living in DC is the nightlife..it's absolutely crazy here.  however, i've heard little rock is the new DC so we'll see 'eh (catch the sarcasm)!  :)  take care guys!

p.s.--amy, the riverdale area is pretty nice.  depending on your budget, however, you can find cheaper places with more square footage.  you are definitely paying for the location in that area.