Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question Regarding D.C. Lawyers  (Read 836 times)

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question Regarding D.C. Lawyers
« on: June 09, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
I could probably research this myself, but I figured someone here would probably have the answer...

My question is, do lawyers who practice in D.C. have to take some sort of bar exam that allows them to practice in the district? Or in other words, is there a test that is the equivalent of a state bar exam that is specifically for D.C.?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question Regarding D.C. Lawyers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:46:32 AM »
There is a DC Bar exam but very few people take it.  Most DC attorneys take the bar of another state and then "waive in" to the DC bar.  DC allows people that pass the bar in another state with a certain score (depends on the state - above an 80 for Georgia for example) to waive in.  Otherwise, you have to take the DC bar exam separately.  But, you do not necessarily need to be admitted to the DC bar to "practice" in DC.  For example, many corporate lawyers all over the country are only admitted to the NY or Delaware bar.  The only time you need to be admitted to a bar is if you are going to appear in court there or file papers with any of that state's agencies or courts.  So, take the bar in another state and try to do well enough to waive in to DC.  The result will be that you are admitted to two bars.

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 11:14:07 AM »
I'm not the most knowledgable on the subject at all, but I had heard something a little different.  During my law school tour, they told us that there was no D.C. bar since it wasn't a state and that any other bar from a different state would automatically allow you to practice in D.C.  I guess thatt's not the case then.

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
Lenny,

I suspected that it might be something like that. Thanks for the clarification....

Just one question though...you mentioned that many corporate lawyers on sit for the bar in NY and Deleware...why Deleware?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 02:47:44 PM »
Over time, Delaware has developed as the incorporation capital of America.  It started off having very business-friendly tax and liability laws, so businesses started to incorporate there, even if the business actually does no business there.  Delaware realized this was good for the state coffers if all the big businesses incorporated and paid taxes there, so the corporate laws remained very business-friendly and the courts followed suit.  Now, if you want to do legal work for a company that is incorporated in Delaware, it helps to be admitted to the Delaware bar so that you can actually sign the documents that you prepare.  It's not a must, but it helps.

nuzzle77

• View Profile
    • Staticflow - Kick Ass Acappella Music
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:18:56 PM »
I have worked in several DC law firms and YES, there is a DC Bar (www.dcbar.org). However, the above poster was right that most DC attorneys are also admitted to either VA or MD or NY or DE or something like that.
Heading to the University of Baltimore School of Law