Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transition Program at Toledo--Anyone accepted into this program  (Read 8116 times)

BB137

• View Profile
Hey all, was anyone else accepted into the transitional program at Toledo. This is the program I have been accepted to, but I am kind of confused. Is this considered PT or FT. How many credit hours are we going to take per semester?? The reason I ask, I was going to keep my clerkship at the firm I currently work at and return next summer, but I thought there was a stipulation with this transitional program that you had to take a couple classes in the summer. Can anyone explain this to me, thank you for the replies in advance.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transition Program at Toledo--Anyone accepted into this program
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 05:34:33 PM »
You take 3 classes (9 credits) during fall and start going full-time in the spring.  The classes that you will need to make up to be on track (ready to graduate in 3 years) are Torts (4 credits) and Property II (3 credits).  You may elect to take these classes during summer semesters or at night.  At night would be tough because it would add to your load, so best bet would be to make them up first summer and be on track.  The first fall semester you are only taking 9 credits, but you will be in the day division, and in spring you simply start going full-time and having a normal load during the day division.

-HTH

BB137

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
Yorba, thanks for the information, I think I understand it a little better now. It sounds like I will be there next summer for sure, I dont think it would be possible to add additional classes on top of a full schedule. One more quick question, do you know how this program will affect your class rank. Are there different PT & FT ranks (calculated seperately), or is everyone is the same boat. Thanks for the help again, it should be a challenging and exciting year coming up.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 01:24:52 PM »
The Dean mentioned at the barbeque that the rankings for 1L don't come out until after the summer session, when people in your program are caught up.
That being said, I believe there are different ranking for day and evening division, and the transition program is considered day division. Don't hold me to that, but I recall seeing the rankings in the glass cases, and was pretty sure there were day/night rankings.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
Looks like I'm too late, Blue is correct - rankings will be divided into day and night divisions, with transitional students being day.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 09:35:31 PM »
Im in this too because my lsat sucked and my freshmen and sophomore years in undergrad were terrible. I think 9 credits is a little rediculous, but Ill do it and enjoy it. Im a little worried about it hurting my performance. My best semesters in college were when I really pushed myself and buckled down. It forced me to manage my time well. Now I can totally see myself studying all day Friday (no class probably) and Sunday and thinking that is enough to justify me driving to ann arbor on saturday for football games and to relive the glory days with some 5th year friends.

*&^% Im even going to Vegas the weekend between orientation and classes. I emailed some professors and they actually saw no problem with me doing this and one in fact encouraged it!

Im thinking also that second semester when we take the classes that we miss 1st, they will be really small and filled with only transitional students. Who knows, that may help the curve in those 2 classes.

Black Jesus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »
I don't like this transitional thing one bit. It basically forces you out of getting a summer associate position after your first year. Instead, we are stuck taking classes over the summer.

Anyone else think that this transitional program could end up messing up future chances at employment? I can't imagine sitting in front of a potential employer after my 2nd year, and when he asks what I did during my first summer, I'd have to say "I needed to take classes to get caught up!"

If I told Toledo I don't want to be in their transitional program - and I'd accept an offer to a full-time schedule, do you think they would give in?

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:11:39 PM »
I don't like this transitional thing one bit. It basically forces you out of getting a summer associate position after your first year. Instead, we are stuck taking classes over the summer.

Anyone else think that this transitional program could end up messing up future chances at employment? I can't imagine sitting in front of a potential employer after my 2nd year, and when he asks what I did during my first summer, I'd have to say "I needed to take classes to get caught up!"

If I told Toledo I don't want to be in their transitional program - and I'd accept an offer to a full-time schedule, do you think they would give in?

There aren't many students that score summer associate positions after their first year.  Most volunteer their time somewhere if they want to do something law related.  I know of at least 3 upper classman that did absolutely nothing with their summer after 1L and still got a good summer position. The time to be stressed about interviewing and summer associate positions is your second year.  It's all about grades. You take 2 classes in the summer, so you could easily volunteer somewhere for a few hours a week to have something to put down on your resume.  The transitional prog. isn't a huge deal here since there are a lot of people in it.  I know a few 2Ls that that were in the transitional program their first semesteser and have hadn't had any trouble finding work for their 2L summer.  Employers aren't going to grill you about the transitional program....they care about grades.

Black Jesus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »
You take 2 classes in the summer, so you could easily volunteer somewhere for a few hours a week to have something to put down on your resume.

Thank you for your reply! So the transitional thing is pretty common over there? I am a little concerned about the idea of summer classes. I know most students who enroll in summer courses at places like NYLS, where they need to "proove themselves" in order to gain admission, find it very, very difficult to get a respectable grade. Are the summer courses at Toledo like that? Or do these summer classes for the transitional programs turn out to be a little more humane?? I'd be afraid to find myself in a sick contest for survival after finishing the first semester!

Also...what's up with the attrition rate being so high???

Thanks again for your input! :) 

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 10:17:45 PM »

I know most students who enroll in summer courses at places like NYLS, where they need to "proove themselves" in order to gain admission, find it very, very difficult to get a respectable grade. Are the summer courses at Toledo like that? Or do these summer classes for the transitional programs turn out to be a little more humane?? I'd be afraid to find myself in a sick contest for survival after finishing the first semester!

[/quote]

Oh no, this program is like once you're in, you're in. The only reason you take summer classes is to catch yourself up to graduate within 3 years and it's better to do it your 1L summer, then to wait till your 2L summer because you will be working then.  It's not like a trial thing.  It's just 2 classes less than the full load your first semester. I haven't heard anyone really complain about just having 3 classes. The 2 summer classes will be on the same curve as all other first year classes. The only way they ask you to leave is if your gpa falls below a 2.0 after your first two semesters and that goes for everyone.