Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transition Program at Toledo--Anyone accepted into this program  (Read 8248 times)

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transition Program at Toledo--Anyone accepted into this program
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
As someone that just finished this, Ill drop in.

For me, it was a giant waste. For others, it was very beneficial. I know of people that got straight Cs with only the 3 classes so if they had taken the full load they would be on their way out. At least now they can make some changes and have another stab at it. Im really pissed off though that I have to stay here for 2 months out of the summer. I really wanted to study abroad my first summer, but I can't find a single program with non-conflicting dates. As far as employment goes, that isn't really a big deal. I havent heard anyone complain about how the transitional program hurt them with employment prospects. Also it isnt like we will be in school all summer. There is a 6 week break where you could easily volunteer somewhere and get enough experience to at least be able to bull a little in the fall interviews.

I'd go ahead and ask them to reconsider you for full time. I know the people in the office and they are very nice. It won't hurt you in any way by asking. Also ask if maybe you could take 4 classes if they won't let you take all 5. That way your summer term would give you much more free time to work if that is what you really are wanting to do.

legallush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »
As someone that just finished this, Ill drop in.

Thought I'd toss in my two cents as well. I, too, was accepted to the transitional program for Fall 2005. We're now ending our second week back and it is a big change going from 3 classes to 6. However, I kind of wish I had a full load last semester so I would have been more focused. Its so easy to slack off when you have so much free time not in classes with the part-time in the Fall. And I totally agree about how sucky giving up the summer is going to be. I really wanted to study abroad as well but that went out the window real fast. And it's not like you can do it during your 2L summer since you are expected to be working somewhere. Oh well. Maybe in another lifetime.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
I was also a transitional so I will jump in as well.  I think it was nice playing golf every week and having time for a social life, but it really does suck having to make up two classes.  The thing that really sucks is that you still take a writing class, so you really only have two normal law classes, then in spring you have five and still a writing class.  I would still choose Toledo if I had it to do over though, I like the school and the people here, and I don't think you could go wrong by picking Toledo.  I am choosing to make them up during the next fall or spring semesters.  I am making them up then so I can work with a criminal defense attorney all summer on a full time basis.  I will be working in Michigan about 2 1/2 hours away so there really is no way I can take classes at the same time.  For me the work experiance is more important than being caught up right away.  At Toledo you need 89 credits to graduate, if you take 9 the first semester and 16 the other 5 you will meet this number without taking any summer classes, a heavier load will suck though.  If I find this semester to be brutal or something I might decide to take the summer classes to lighten my load for the remainder, or I might choose to just plan on a 3 1/2 year stay and go an extra fall.  I do wonder how it would affect someone graduating in December, are there less jobs available?  Anyway, I agree that you should at least ask them, and even if they say no at first you may want to pressure them a little, we do have a good administration which is rare from what I've heard about other schools.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 09:35:39 AM »
Well *&^%!!!

This semester sucks. That brief damn near killed me, but Im glad it is over with. Im glad UT has us do it before Spring break.

notatallmad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »
I was recently accepted for Fall 2007.  Has anyone ever been successful in asking to be raised to full time, or taking a fourth class as someone earlier mentioned?

OneAppAtATime

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »
I was recently accepted for Fall 2007.  Has anyone ever been successful in asking to be raised to full time, or taking a fourth class as someone earlier mentioned?

No and would not suggest that you go there
Decision: Toledo (Full Scholarship)

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

No and would not suggest that you go there

Want to expand on why you have a strong dislike for Toledo?