Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving with a car  (Read 5090 times)

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
Moving with a car
« on: June 07, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
Do any of you know how the inspection thing works and what it is going to cost me?  I am missing a side mirror and was told it will need to be replaced to pass the safety inspection but what other costs am I looking at? Thanks for any info.

allyson

• View Profile
Re: Moving with a car
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 09:01:46 AM »
Check out

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/new_residents/index.shtml and http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/inspections/safety.shtml

They should cover most of what you need to know in terms of procedure.  Costs vary depending on the garage, but you're looking at approximately $20 for the safety inspection and $35 for the emissions test.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:07:04 PM »
No obviously missing pieces or holes over an inch in anything.
I'm from Ohio, where they could car less about your dinosaur.  Fun stuff getting up to PA standards.  My husband and I spent 500 bucks to get an '88 Colt up to snuff in 2000.

sita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »
yeah, that is exactly what I am worried about.  I checked the DOT web site and am not too worried about paying for the inspections.  I will be holding my breath hoping they don't find anything wrong.  I just replaced my passenger side mirror and have no other obvious problems.  I am mostly worried about the OBD test because there can be a problem without realixing it.  Thanks for the info.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 04:51:38 PM »
I just moved into town last week and getting your car situated is a bit of a hassle.  I had a lot of trouble.  I am going to get the inspections done on Monday, so I'll let you know how it goes.  But make sure you have everything when it comes to registering your car.  They are sticklers.  Let me know if you have any questions.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 05:37:45 PM »
By way of everything, you will need proof of insurance and current registration papers.  If you are keeping your out of state license and registration by the way, you don't need inspections.  My law school friend from Florida does this.

sita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »
Sean, definitley let me know how it goes.  Do you get your new license and apply for registration before or after the inspections?  I plan on transferring my insurance etc. the week before I move so that will be done. 

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 11:54:39 AM »
Have you thought about just not having a car in Pittsburgh?  Or sharing a car with your sig.other?  You're not really going to be able to drive to school anyhow (except for perhaps on weekends or in the evening, and even then you'll need a Pitt parking pass or you'll have to pay for parking). 

That's what I'm doing.  I figure that I need to make my life simplier when I'm in my first year of law school, and getting rid of my car seems like one way of doing that.  Besides, just imagine what a hassle it will be if you count on a car for various things and it breaks down in late-November, right before finals? 

It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

sita

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 08:15:44 AM »
Well, I wish.  I know I won't be driving much but . . .
1. the car will be paid off,
2. it will give me freedom to get out of the 'hood when I need to (especially since dogs aren't welcome on public transportation), and
3. I won't have a significiant other to share a car with.   ;D

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 01:13:42 PM »
The dog thing does complicate it I suppose.  You could pretend you're blind...

Yea, I took the time to really consider what a car costs me and it's staggering really.  Even if you don't have a car payment, you have to consider that you pay a hundred bucks or so each month for insurance, registration each year, inspections, lots of money on gas, the occasional thousand dollar fix that just kills you,  the more occasional hundred or two hundred dollar fixes, and the much more common rotating tires/oil change bit. 

And that's if you don't have a car payment.  I just can't understand how a law student could possibly begin to afford a car if s/he had a three hundred dollar car payment each month. 

Which is one reason I want to live in Pittsburgh.  I can survive without a car.