Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tablet PC with Agilix GoBinder or PlanPlus, OneNote, etc.  (Read 2596 times)

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tablet PC with Agilix GoBinder or PlanPlus, OneNote, etc.
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:33:34 AM »
Anyone out there who has a Tablet PC and uses one of these programs to organize all your notes, outlines, etc.?  I've just ordered a Tablet PC and am thinking about getting GoBinder from reviews I've read, as it is supposed to be better for students than OneNote.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tablet PC with Agilix GoBinder or PlanPlus, OneNote, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:59:24 PM »
My Tablet PC came with OneNote, and I love it because it integrates so well with all of the other Microsoft Office Features.  I can put things I'd like to look at when I'm studying in my calender or To-Do list in Outlook, and then sync them directly to my Palm, so I don't have to worry about transferring stuff between different places all the time.

I guess it's just personal preference.  I've never used GoBinder, so I really can't compare the two.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
I totally take it back.

I just downloaded GoBinder's trial.  It will sync my notes with my Palm!  I can't believe it!

I'm going to use it for a while on the demo, but I think I might recommend this.  It's just going to be hard to justify buying it when I already have OneNote for free...
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:33:18 PM »
OneNote doesn't sync your notes too?  Maybe it would if you had OneNote on your Palm?  (I don't have a Palm, not familiar with what goes on one nowadays.)

My tablet (which should ship Wednesday! yay!) comes with OneNote, too.  I think part of the reason I won't mind paying the $49 for GoBinder, after trying the demo, is that I've never liked Microsoft Outlook and want to use a better calendar program.  It seems that GoBinder is more of an all-in-one solution than OneNote.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 10:56:28 PM »
mfitz, have you used the recording feature of OneNote during lecture?  Just wondering, that is a feature I believe GoBinder doesn't have, but that sounds really handy.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 09:06:11 AM »
No, GoBinder does not have the recording feature built into it, but if you're getting a Windows Tablet Edition with your Tablet, then you will have another program that's built in to Windows, called "Sticky Notes," that will let you record audio, even if you're in another program.  That's what I intend to use to record my lectures.  It records pretty smoothly, and I've found that when I record with OneNote while taking notes, the recording tends to be glitchy.

The only drawback is that OneNote will let your record video rather than just audio, but I don't have a digital video camera, so this isn't an issue for me.

What kind of Tablet PC are you getting?

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 02:53:55 PM »
Didn't realize that about Sticky Notes.  Cool!  Is that part of Outlook or is it separate?

I'm getting a Fujitsu T4010.  Buying online without having seen one first is a little scary, but I did as much research as I could.  What kind do you have?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 03:10:03 PM »
Sticky Note is a new windows thing. It comes with Tablet Edition.  It's basically like post-its for your laptop, which is way cool, because I'm a post-it note freak--I have them plastered all over my desktop monitor. 

Once you get your tablet, go to Microsoft's website and download the "Tablet PC Experience Pack" and the "Tablet PC Power Toys".  These are all free, Microsoft-sanctioned items that will really add to the computer.  The Experience Pack has an awesome art program, free crosswords, and a program that let's you write on your desktop, like it's a chalkboard.  The Power Toys include a lot of free games.

I've got a Toshiba Satellite R10.  I also ordered it off the internet without ever having seen one, and I am soooo happy with it.  I've only had it about two months, but I take it everywhere.  It is seriously the best computer I've ever owned--it does so much!

I'm gushing.  Good luck, and let me know what you decide.  If you haven't already, check out www.tabletpcbuzz.com.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 03:31:55 PM »
I keep checking the forums on tabletpcbuzz to see what people are saying about the computer I ordered.  I'm not quite as addicted to that site as I am to LSD -- yet!

Gushing about one's tablet seems to be a common thing... it inspires me to gush too and I don't even have mine yet.  I just love the idea of being able to do everything electronically with a pen and still have the keyboard for all the writing we're going to have to do.  I really didn't want to get a plain vanilla notebook.  It costs a little more, but the increased functionality is so worth it to me!

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 03:51:51 PM »
Exactly how I feel. :D