Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing Hunt  (Read 3449 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
Housing Hunt
« on: June 06, 2005, 04:49:11 AM »
Hi everyone! I am part of the class of 2008 for Pitt and I'm looking for housing. I am leaning more towards trying to get a 1BD/ or studio, but I'm also open to looking for roommates. I'm flying into Pittsburgh this weekend (6/10) to hunt around. I'm ideally looking for a place that's not on the ground level, a short to the bus lines, and a short bus ride to get to campus.

If anyone has any leads on 1BD/Studios in Shadyside, Squirell Hill, Friendship, or Bloomfield, I'd love to hear from you! Also, if anyone has info on shared housing, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!!! :D

p.s I'm also curious to hear any opinions about some of the other surrounding areas.
-Are Polish Hill and Highland Park so far away that I might feel a little isolated?
-Is South Oakland really too rowdy? Bad idea? Or do many grad students seem to avoid the area because it's comprised of mostly undergrads?
-I've head that East Liberty is kind of sketchy- are there any other areas that I should avoid?

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Housing Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 04:55:29 PM »
I just found a place last week in shadyside.  There seems to be a lot of available places for rent.  I am just of Walnut St.  This seems to be a pretty cool area.  Good luck on the apartment search.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:41:15 PM »
S. Oakland is an undergraduate slum.  Truly, garbage is everywhere.  East Liberty does have high levels of gang activity.  Highland Park is too far away and it's inconvient to highway access as well.  I lived in Regent Square when I went to Pitt.  It's just above Squirrel Hill and slightly cheaper with great park and highway access and a reasonable bus ride.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »
Well, this probably comes too late for your trip to Pitt, but I thought it might help anybody else who reads it.

Polish Hill is a pretty rough area.  I think you'd feel isolated b/c there aren't that many students there.

Highland Park is really too far for an everyday commute.  It would wear on you, and you'd probably feel isolated.

I spent a lot of time researching, but it didn't help that much b/c my opinion changed completely when I got to Pittsburgh and really looked around.  I rented a three-bedroom in Shadyside.  I think that Shadyside and Sq.Hill are really the places to be.  Regent Square is nice, no question.  But it's perhaps not as fun as Sq.Hill or Shadyside.  And it's a lot harder without a car. 

If I were you, I'd think twice about renting a 1 bedroom or studio -- basically because it will cost you too much of your student budget.  You could either share a two bedroom for 400/month or have your own place for 600/month.  And if you took the latter option, that means you'd be spending about half of your entire student budget just on housing (i.e. what Pitt gives you for "living expenses," which many, if not most, students will be solely counting on).

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »
Hi everyone,
So things went well during my little excursion. Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are definitely nice, and ideal areas for grad students. South Oakland is cheaper in rent, but quite rough looking and seems too noisy. I guess some folks can deal with the area, but it left much to be desired when compared to some of the other areas. I passed through East Liberty and it was definite a no-no.

I decided to rent out a place in Shadyside, so everything worked out :) There were still a good amount of places available around Shadyside, but for anyone who's still looking, they seem to be going pretty fast so you might want to get out there soon!

Thanks for your input, and see you guys in a few weeks!!

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:53 AM »
Looks like a lot of us will be living in Shadyside.  For those of you already there (in Shadyside that is) . . . any suggestions on hotels in the neighborhood.  I will need to stay one night with a dog before my apartment is ready.