Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Audio CD Study Aids  (Read 1109 times)

jcjc

• View Profile
Audio CD Study Aids
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:34:08 PM »
does anyone know anything about the options available for audio cd study aids?

i have heard that "sum and substance" offers some.  is it any good?

Mary

• View Profile
Re: Audio CD Study Aids
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:01:11 PM »
What do you recommend listening to in your car on the long haul driving to and from school?

choper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »
PMBR is usually used for reviewing for the bar where as Sum and Substance is geared more toward law students.  I'd go with Sum and Substance.

jcjc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
i saw online that there is also a set of PMBR for first year students (lawbooks.com for 279)

any thoughts on which is better--Sum and Substance vs. PMBR?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 11:35:19 PM »
Sum and Substance. The Civ Pro one is pretty good. Miller does a good job of giving a big picture to the subject. The contracts one is awful. My Ks casebook author is on that one. He forgets his lines several times on the CD. Then he mixes terms. I couldn't believe it. I can't believe they didn't stop the recording and have him go over his notes. The property one is pretty good too. I didn't use the torts Sum cd. But the Sum & Substance Cds are pretty expensive. Most law school libraries have them on reserve.

i saw online that there is also a set of PMBR for first year students (lawbooks.com for 279)

any thoughts on which is better--Sum and Substance vs. PMBR?

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
I'm not usually a study aid-purchasing kind of person (library = free study aids for all!), but I broke down and bought the S&S for Wills and Trusts.  I'll be traveling a lot in the next two weeks, and I figure I can listen to them while I'm in the car.  I have a feeling it's going to make a 5-hour drive seem like a 10-hour drive, but maybe (hopefully) I'll learn something. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 09:51:07 PM »
A friend that was 1 year ahead of me had Gilberts tapes for some subjects.  I used them on the drive to and from law school.  They weren't great but I thought it was better than nothing.  It was very high level, but since you were listening to them over and over and over and over again, it actually stuck. I probably would not pay full price though. 

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 01:42:46 AM »
I purchased Sum and Substance for Criminal Law and Con Law.  I purchased Crim Law because it generally received rave reviews (check Amazon).  Con Law I don't think had any reviews (maybe one), but I purchased it because I don't know much at all about Con Law.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:16:53 AM »
Crim Law Sum & Substance is by Joshua Dressler, right?  That was my Crim prof!  He is very, very good in class.  I'm sure his CDs would be fantastic.  I'm taking Criminal Procedure: Investigation with him in the fall, despite a total lack of interest in practicing in that area.

Regards,
Todd

Yup, Dressler at Ohio State.  He's supposed to be really good.

jcjc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Has anyone ever used the Gilbert Legends tape series?