Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LEEWs vs. Law Preview  (Read 2732 times)

jcjc

• View Profile
LEEWs vs. Law Preview
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »
I am trying to decide between LEEWs and Law Preview.  Here are the factors:

1. Law Preview is very expensive (1000+) but seems to offer more in terms of preparation (since they teach the subjects as well as the method for studying).

Does anyone know how generous Law Preview is in giving financial aid?

2. LEEWs is significantly cheaper (145) and is conviniently available on audio cds.

Any thoughts on which is better?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWs vs. Law Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
Law Preview doesn't "teach" you the subjects. Most of the things they go over in Law Preview are discussed in the week long orientation at your law school. If you want to prep for law school, then it's cheaper to get the E&Es for your subjects and do them. Also studying in law school is a personal thing. You need to organize your studying around school and other activities. I did PLS2 last summer so I already had a structure when I started law school. Leews and Law Preview are two vastly different things. Leews is a system that helps you on your law school exams which are the only thing your final grades in your first year are based on. Leews also has a great system involving outlining and other things--basically the things you need to do during the semester in preparation for your exams. If you do Leews properly then you will be doing something in Leews such as practicing your legal writing with hypos or working on your "toolbox" several times every week until you get to your finals. Personally, I used Leews inside a bigger study program I used throughout the year.

Law Preview is an one week course that can give people a false sense of security and confidence. I also think Law Preview has an email thing after you are done with the course. They send you email reminders with things like stress tips. Something like that. My roommate did Law Preview. Oh and she got some type of poster/calendar thing when she was done with the program. Mostly she regrets she spent the money. I also know a few people that did the program and felt like it was a rip off. For $145, the investment in Leews is worth it for the opportunities you get when you get good grades first year. You can look up some past posts on Leews that others including myself have written. I aced my first year and Leews played a huge part of it. I don't know how others on this board feel about Law Preview. Good luck.

I am trying to decide between LEEWs and Law Preview.  Here are the factors:

1. Law Preview is very expensive (1000+) but seems to offer more in terms of preparation (since they teach the subjects as well as the method for studying).

Does anyone know how generous Law Preview is in giving financial aid?

2. LEEWs is significantly cheaper (145) and is conviniently available on audio cds.

Any thoughts on which is better?

jcjc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:39:28 PM »
Thanks jdohno for you comments...very helpful. 

(to respond to your question about why I am comparing the two--they both offer a strategy for exams-one of the 6 sessions of law preview is on that-so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the comparison of the two strategies).

Anyone have any other thoughts on law preview or LEEWs?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 05:38:54 PM »
Oh my roommate didn't discuss that part of Law Preview. It's hard sometimes to ask people after they are already in school to remember things they did in the summer before. She really zoom in on the bad things. You can't lose by going with Leews. That money for Law Preview could be used for other things. Good luck with your choice and in your first year.

Thanks jdohno for you comments...very helpful. 

(to respond to your question about why I am comparing the two--they both offer a strategy for exams-one of the 6 sessions of law preview is on that-so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the comparison of the two strategies).

Anyone have any other thoughts on law preview or LEEWs?

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 05:23:38 PM »
Purchasing LEEWS is the best single investment you can make for law school.  Its approach (looking for conflicts, legal premises, the back and forth arguements, etc.) is a great way to think and approach exams and any other legal problem solving exercises (memos, etc.) you might encounter.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:33:46 PM »
Law Preview doesn't "teach" you the subjects.

I just did the early section for Law Preview, and did find it very helpful.  They did teach the subjects.  They had real professors in a simulated law classroom.  I had a great experience with it.  I understand it is expensive, and I have not tried LEEWS yet, just wanted to clear up some misinformation.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:00:50 PM »
I know this comment may be a little late but both my girlfriend and I did law Preview in SF last summer and we both finished in the top 10% of our class.

I believe that the people who regret taking the class didn't put in much effort. You will wind up having brifed about 35 cases by the time school starts, gotten a good simple overview of each first-year course and be given great study tips. 

To be honest both my girlfirned and I worked real hard, basically following every piece of advice given to us from Law Preview.  One year later, after reading and briefing every case, keeping a regimented schedule etc. we find oursleves much higher ranked than we ever could have anticipated.  We have said to others that Law preview was worth its weight in gold.

JustWondering

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 04:25:46 PM »
I've never heard of Law Preview before, but I used LEEWS and I finished 1st in my class this past year. 

I can't say how much of the credit should go to LEEWS, but if I had first year to do over again, I would definately still buy it.  I did not use LEEWS all year long, but I did spend a couple weekends with it before midterms and finals.  It helped me to relieve stress, gain confidence, and understand what professors are looking for when they grade exams.  But I also studied my ass off all year with all sorts of aids.  Still, for less than $200, LEEWS is a no brainer. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 08:15:57 PM »
congrats on your first year!  amy other tips to share?

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 01:42:18 AM »
The reaosn I would vouch for Law Preview is that both my G/f and I took it, folloeed all of their instructions and advice...and I finished top 5% and she finished top 7% in our class.  What validates it even more is the fact that I wasn't ever even in the top third of my HS or college class.