Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Take time off during law school?  (Read 1419 times)

W.

• View Profile
Take time off during law school?
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:40:56 PM »
Is it generally possible to take time off after your 1L before returning to the same school to finish your first and second year? If so how much time are you allowed to take off?

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: Take time off during law school?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »
I can't remember the exact amount, but you have to graduate from an ABA law school within so many years of starting (seems like its around 9 or something, but I'd check on that).  So there is definitely room to take a little time off, and I'd imagine that most schools allow it as long as you let them know before (unless there is an emergency situation)--I know mine does--but you'd probably want to talk to your school (or contact schools you are interested in attending if you haven't started yet) to see what their policy is.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »
A friend of mine took two years off after 1L at UVA. In the end, it didn't seem to hurt her any, as she is now doing very well at a job she enjoys.

I imagine that each school has their own procedures that need to be followed and it is probably at their discretion as to how much time you can take off. I seem to remember that my friend told me that she "needed" to go back after the second year off or she would not be allowed back.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 11:31:52 PM »
There are also people who do joint degrees. Usually you spend your second year starting your joint degree in the other program. So if it's a MBA then instead of doing your second year at the law school, you would do your second year in the business school. It's set up like that at my school. Why do you want to take time off?

Is it generally possible to take time off after your 1L before returning to the same school to finish your first and second year? If so how much time are you allowed to take off?