Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Los Angeles (Full Scholarship) vs. Hastings (No Scholarship)  (Read 2801 times)

JCJCJDJD

• View Profile
Loyola Los Angeles with full scholarship or Hastings with nothing?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola Los Angeles (Full Scholarship) vs. Hastings (No Scholarship)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:19:15 PM »
Hastings is the better school. Loyola is considered the third best school in Los Angeles. The top students there find jobs in LA and its location is close to the downtown law firms. Also Hastings is a pretty competitive place. It's filled with UCLA/Boalt/Stanford rejects who are either trying to transfer out or do well. Then there are the people who actually want to go to Hastings. Loyola LA is more of a commuter school and like Hastings it doesn't have an university nearby. The Loyola undergrad campus is miles away. What type of law do you want to do? Loyola has a good entertainment law program and a decent tax/corporate law program. Hastings has a great corporate/tax program. And do you want to live in Southern or Northern CA when you are done with school?

Loyola Los Angeles with full scholarship or Hastings with nothing?

TJordan78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 01:31:33 AM »
i was in a similar position. i live in LA and have been interested in entertainment law from the get go, but was willing to move anywhere in the country, even to a school without a strong entertainment program. i wasnt that whetted to it.

once i recieved my full scholarship offer from Loyola i was still waiting to hear back from usc and hastings. at that time i figured hastings would have to offer me at least half tuition (which they dont even offer, so hastings was out) and usc would have to offer me some sort of cash (which they didnt, of course, as i was waitlisted)

i guess if you dont care about debt go where ever you want, but for me the idea of being a law school graduate and virtually debt free was extremely attractive. going to hastings would have meant adding an extra $60,000 to my $25,000 debt from undergrad and i just didnt see it as a needed extra.

also too, your scholarship probably comes with some sort of title (fritz burns, deans, loyola, etc)  this IS an added feather in your cap, and i see this distinction in many lawyers bios "so and so was a Dean's Scholar while attending Loyola Law School" for instance.

Loyolas comparative "lack" of prestige, to me, is negated by being able to add this title to my resume.

as an aside, i wold say both hastings and loyola are commuter schools (minus the half of the 1L class that lives next door) no one lives within walking distance of hastings aside from that group.

ps- if you want more input i would post this in the pre-law boards

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 02:38:31 AM »
Right. If you ever have any prospective employers ask you why you chose Loyola over the other schools in LA and/or CA, you can say the school gave you a free ride. Many law firms will understand that. If you do well at Loyola and state the scholarship on your resume and/or explain it, then you will be okay. Congrats on your scholarship and good luck in school.

TJordan78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:33:59 AM »
wait,
i just realized this person posted this in the LLM board (i simply saw it on the "most recent posts" board and replied)

unfortunatly the original poster never mentioned the LLM part, so i accidentally gave you my opinion on JD programs. sorry =)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 11:37:54 PM »
I think he posted in the LLM section by accident. I saw this same post on the pre law side.

wait,
i just realized this person posted this in the LLM board (i simply saw it on the "most recent posts" board and replied)

unfortunatly the original poster never mentioned the LLM part, so i accidentally gave you my opinion on JD programs. sorry =)