Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Floppy drives  (Read 781 times)

Angie4Prez

Floppy drives
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:52:20 PM »
Are they necessary?  Is it better to take tests on one's laptop rather than not?  My laptop does not have a floppy drive in it, so I would need to purchase an external one to do so.

Any insight on this would be appreciated!

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: Floppy drives
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:52:45 PM »
You don't need a floppy drive--they are obsolete.  A CD burner is nice, but I haven't found it to be necessary for school.  When you take a test on your laptop it is submitted electronically, so all you'll need is a cable or wireless internet.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »
You should really check with your school for the exact info on what they require. Santa Clara ONLY accepts exams on floppy disks, not cds or anything else. Most laptops don't come with a floppy (as it is virtually obsolete), but I will be purchasing a very cheap external one for the purpose of doing my exams. If your choice is between doing the exam on a laptop or writing it out by hand, i would say get the floppy drive. I can't imagine writing out all  that crap by hand for hours.

HTH

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:30:46 AM »
You do not need a floppy. You do need at least one of two other devices to store your files. You can either buy a cd burner, or a flash drive. I suggest that you have both, but use the flash drive. For one, it is faster, and two, you can carry it much easier than the cd (many can be used as a key chain).

Edit: Some schools, mine included, will not allow anything attach to your pc while taking an exam. That is why you might want to make sure you have a cd burner, but do not bother with a floppy. If need be, you can copy it to a cd and then place the file on another pc that has a floppy. I have yet to need a floppy drive, and I  do not foresee the need for one any time soon.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 11:18:50 AM »
Like Brooklaw said, check with your school!  Don't listen to these people that are telling you definitively that you do not need an external floppy drive.  While there's little chance you will need a one for anything else, you MIGHT need one for exams.  While most schools are moving toward online submission of laptop exams, not every school is there yet.  Some exam software permits you to save your completed exam only to a floppy (NOT a CD-ROM, NOT a flash drive). 

If you don't know who to ask yet, don't worry about it for now.  Just wait until you find out whether you actually need one for exams and then buy one on the cheap.  Good luck! 

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 12:29:39 PM »
Yeah, on second thought, JD_MSA and Brooklaw are right. Just check with your school. However, if they say you don't need one, you really don't need one.

bkbk5

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 12:49:32 PM »
What size of a flash drive do you reccomend?  256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, etc?

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »
What size of a flash drive do you reccomend?  256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, etc?
I carry a 512. However, I find this to be a personal choice that can be answered based on a few questions. First, how much can you afford? Second, what are your typical storing patterns (ie. do you keep things forever, or toss them when you no longer use them)?. Third, will this flash drive be a temp storage device, or do you plan to use it alone (another storage device might be another pc that you back files up onto). Based on your answer, you should logically be able to figure out what you should buy.