Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading Curves  (Read 1734 times)

ttiwed

Grading Curves
« on: May 30, 2005, 06:38:24 PM »

zilla

• View Profile
Re: Grading Curves
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:22:20 AM »
i went to one of those not-tier-one schools. the curve was basically a forced bell curve. Though I wouldn't say 10% failed each class. I think professors were more likely to give more Ds and a spare few Fs. Other than that, pretty strict curve, at least for first year courses and upper level courses with more than 15 people.
...the theory that everyone throws out to justify the curves are that the lower tier schools want to weed out the underachievers to try to keep them from taking and failing the bar, which then in turn lowers the school's pass rate. i don't know if that is true or not. Grade curves do spur competition, but the upside is your class rank reflects your standing anyway. I clerked with a person from a tier 1 school that didn't rank at all. I guess it would be nice to avoid the competitive aspects of ranking, but at the same time, i found that competition to be a big motivating factor to study.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »
I attend a third tier toilet and there is a very tough curve.  The reason there's a curve is because they can't attract the higher calibur students that will attend 1st and 2nd tiers to increase their bar passage rate. And because of this fact, they have to weed out as much as they can without killing their bottom line, so that the bar passage rate will be better than worse. And it's not so much the curve or drop out rate in 1L that's a negative to the school, it's the bar passage rate. 

Also, it's not the GPA that matters to firms, non-profit org, or whatever, it's the ranking.  Every interview I went to for this summer, they asked the ranking, not the GPA. So, if at my TTT, I have a GPA of 78% but a ranking of 4 in my class of 500, the 78% is irrevalent. 

zilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:15:07 PM »
i agree, zemog. when I went through on-campus interviewing, everything was a question of rank rather than GPA.  some firms would only accept bids if rank was top 10 to 20%. GPA wasn't really an issue. And for grade inflated top tiers, I don't think GPA is a big factor on the mind of employers either, for the same reason: most employers know how the system works and understand GPA has little facial value.  I found in my interview experience, part time students working professional jobs, or full timers with professional background did far better in the employment game, even where they weren't the very top of the rank list. It did seem like rank/gpa was only a question at the very outset. Beyond that, writing samples, background and personality made the big difference. And that impression was just dealing with the large firms in our market...i know plenty of students who were middle of the road that landed excellent jobs with smaller firms and government, etc. after working as clerks during summer and the school year. 

zilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 07:09:28 PM »
i just graduated from cleveland-marshall.

osulinds

• MSN Messenger - lindseymj@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 06:39:10 PM »
I'm in a not so high tiered school and we have a harsh grading curve.  My 1st year 80 out of the 220 got booted or transfered.  Even in the 2nd and 3rd year classes, only about 4 or 5 get A's and A-'s.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
i just graduated from cleveland-marshall.
I know a person that just graduated from there (ds).

osulinds

• MSN Messenger - lindseymj@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 04:41:58 PM »
I go to University of Tulsa.

modena99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 07:12:48 PM »
Class rank doesn't reflect actual standing if there is high attrition. It reflects a standing but it creates a false impression. The primary reason is not really bar passage. It's accreditation. If students don't pass the bar and schoola have easier admissions, then the ABA is going revoke accreditation.