Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer to U.Houston  (Read 2155 times)

bkat3

• View Profile
Transfer to U.Houston
« on: May 28, 2005, 10:49:47 PM »
Any idea on what it takes to transfer to U.Houston from a T3? I'm around top 10-15%(official rankings not out yet).

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer to U.Houston
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »
It depends what the T3 is. Is it Texas Tech? Or is it 4th tier schools like STCL, St Marys, etc. For those schools you need to be top 5%. If your T3 is a "strong" school then top 10% might do. The class rank shouldn't be this high for UH after all they're not UT. But they have people from South Texas, TSU, St Marys, Texas Tech, etc trying to transfer there every year so they can be picky. A lot of those people at those schools want to go to UH because even though it's 2nd tier, if you do well at the school you will have a good shot at getting a firm job. Also since the school is respected in the Houston legal market, students there also have access to opportunties and jobs.

Any idea on what it takes to transfer to U.Houston from a T3? I'm around top 10-15%(official rankings not out yet).

bkat3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »
You got it. I'm at Texas Tech right now. Do you think being just outside the top 10% will do? Can I assume UH looks much better on Texas Tech than S.Texas, St. Mary's, etc.? Thanks.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 03:12:08 PM »
Yeah UH looks at Texas Tech much better than St Marys, South Texas, etc. Look at it this way, no one who is at SMU or Baylor will transfer to UH. They will transfer up to UT. The only situation I can see someone from those two schools transferring to UH is cost or because of family. Outside of the 10%-I don't know. It depends what your GPA is on what curve. As long as you aren't talking about a 2.8 or 3.3. UH is so vague on their website regarding transfer students. Also they are pretty full. But I can't imagine anyone who finishes near the top of the class at UH staying there when they could transfer to UT. So that will open up some space. Just go ahead and apply. Do it as soon as you get your grades. Also try SMU and UT if you can afford it. Good luck.
You got it. I'm at Texas Tech right now. Do you think being just outside the top 10% will do? Can I assume UH looks much better on Texas Tech than S.Texas, St. Mary's, etc.? Thanks.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »
Also go to UH's website. Apparently they have been overenrolled for the last two years. So now they tough up their transfer critera. I think you have to be in the top 5 or 10% of the class, etc. Good luck.

bkat3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 04:53:41 PM »
Do yall think I should try to transfer somewhere else? Any suggestions? I would really like to practice in Houston, but anything other than West Texas would be great at this point. It sounds like UH is a long shot, so I guess I should plan on staying here or trying somewhere else. Thanks.

4L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 01:01:59 AM »
Being from Houston, I can tell you that UH AND Texas Tech have almost the exact same pull. It seems like houston is a black hole of some sorts. most attorneys think UH is a top 10 law school and that Texas Tech is top 20 or something. If you are in the top 15% at texas tech, I think you will do just fine finding a job in Houston. (although UH is much cheaper). I don't know about Tech, but UH is extremely competitive for some reason. People hide outlines from each other, people break into study groups really early and won't let people in, etc.

but I will tell you this: if you transfer to University of Houston, don't expect to get out of Houston. But then again, you will land a 80K job with no problem at UH, and a 6 figure job if you are top 15% there in Houston. Also, UH floods like twice a year, the law library is a joke, and the facilities are not quite what you would expect. Again, these are just my opinions and I'm trying to be helpful, but you'll never know until you go. If I were you, I would visit UH and see if you can sit in some classes or talk to some students.

debateicon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 09:25:34 PM »
I'm not sure about 4L's post.  Maybe it was a joke?  or bitterness?
Many of the big Houston firms do not weigh UH and TTU the same.  Search NALP and see how many big firms from houston interview at TTU.  In Houston, most of the jobs go to UT and UH.  Baylor is next.  Then SMU.  Then STCL.
I do not know ANYONE who hides outlines at UH.  However, I can give you 2 sites where UH outlines are shared and posted.  check out uhoutlines.com and members.aol.com/djmcarter.  When folks miss class, they can find someone to give them notes.  Study groups do form early, but they are not exclusive.
If you are trying to get a job in Houston, STCL is would be a much better choice than TTU. 
Yes, do come visit UH.  also, feel free to email me with any questions.

bkat3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 01:50:16 AM »
Thank you for the response. It sounds like 4L has no clue. Do you attend or did you attend UH? If I am fortunate enough to get in, I would like to get more info from you. Thanks.

debateicon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »
I just finished my first year.  feel free to ask questions.  Also, keep in touch with the admissions department.  It can't hurt to remind them how much you would like to attend.