Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to help cut textbooks costs ...  (Read 644 times)

bjlaw

• View Profile
How to help cut textbooks costs ...
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:49:07 PM »
There is a company by the name of Fourteen40 ( http://www.fourteen40.com  ) that is providing a unique electronic textbook for university students.  It seems they will provide students with a unique hardware (with an apparent paper-like display and long battery life).  Students will then be able to download casebooks for a deep discount. (Similar to Apple’s iPod/iTunes)

They are asking for product feedback.  Anyone who fills out the survey gets a chance at winning an iPod.

Law students that wish to can support their efforts by providing feedback can do so by visiting: http://www.fourteen40.com/survey/

bjlaw

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: How to help cut textbooks costs ...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:04:23 PM »
The idea of e-books is a good idea, however, the secondary hardware is stupid.  Why not just be available for download on a laptop? 

bjlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:14:58 PM »
When I took the survey I was under the impression that they are going to provide both options (just like the ipod/itunes approach. People can listen to MP3s on the laptop as well as purchase a portable device for listening).  I believe there were questions that asked if that would be helpful.

The device seems somewhat interesting and provides additional flexibility.  I can’t read a laptop screen outside in direct sunlight.  My HP laptop has a battery that lasts 2 hours (at best), this thing seems to last three weeks on a single set of batteries.  That would be nice.

I do believe it would be nice to have something that replaces my heavy textbooks.  I hate carrying them to class.

bjlaw 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »
I did take the survey but after browsing the site, I didn't see any prices.  Is this product available currently, or they are still building/making it?

bjlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 01:51:41 PM »
Not sure, the web site and survey do not provide a place to purchase it. That would lead me to believe that they are currently developing it.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
These new e-book hardware devices are better because they look more like real paper, and are thus easier on the eyes when reading for a long time.

And I don't know how this will really lower prices significantly, since they could still charge a ton for the electronic version, because of "copyright fees".