Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In the primary stages of deciding on going to Law School, I need some input.  (Read 749 times)

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
1. Is the Loans really worth it?

2. How does repayment plans impact ones lifestyle after law school?

3. How does 1L and full time work go.

4. What is the usual number of classes taken per semester?

5. Do you have to take the Bar exam in every state you want to practice in?

Much thanks in advance. Pardon the stupid questions.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
The subject matter of the query does not offend; the grammar, on the other hand....

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile
Agreed with the grammar, but

1.  Depends on how much you like law, and want to be a lawyer.

2.  Depends on what your lifestyle is like now, and where you work.

3.  I would say impossible.

4.  I'm pretty sure it's 5.

5.  Yes, practice in WI they have no exam.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
1 & 2.  Both depend on the amount of loans you take out, the salary you earn upon graduation, and other parts of your lifestyle.  Big loans coupled with a big salary and no mortgage are less of a problem than small loans coupled with a small salary and a mortgage.

3. Virtually impossible (and not allowed) if going full-time, very possible but difficult if going part-time (as I and others are doing.)

4. It depends.  Number of credits is really what you should care about, not number of courses.  Usually 15 credits per semester full-time, 10-12 credits per semester part-time.  Course can be anywhere from 2-5 credits depending on the course and school.

5.  No.  Except for WI (and only for graduates of WI schools) you have to take and pass the bar exam in the state you first want to practice in.  Most states allow you to be admitted to their bar "on motion" once you have a license in another state.  Some required a period of practice as well.  But you need to look at each state's requirments to be sure.

BigMix

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
thanks Coregram and Van Buren.

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile
No problemo, oh and for some reason the idea of taking out 60-70k worth of loans doesn't bother me.  I guess I'll realize their pain in 3 years.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Right now the rates are so low, that student loan money is truly the cheapest money you can buy.