Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Vs. Toledo  (Read 3292 times)

pcaps1

• View Profile
    • Email
Duquesne Vs. Toledo
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:03:14 PM »
I have narrowed down my choices to Toledo and Duquesne. Has anyone else been accepted to these schools? I have some criteria with which I will make my decision and would value the input of anyone on this board.

Toledo is public with in state tuition after one year. They are both 3rd tier schools. Toledo is coming off a 94 rank last year while Duquesne is consistently ranked 3rd. Both are well respected regional programs. Toledo also has a national network of alumni with a significant distribution along the east coast (where I plan to live).

Duquesne ranks its class, Toledo doesn't. I have been told the the level of competition at Duquesne is healthy, while gpa only at Toledo will not benefit me when I look for a job or consider transferring. If I do decide to transfer it will be to a tier two. Would one of these programs be preferred over the other by an admissions officer? Duquesen profs. seem to make tests unnecessarily difficult. I have been told they are proud of the fact that students often return to tell them their exams are tougher than the bar. Toledo profs. seem to take a friendlier approach. The cost of living is cheaper in Toledo, but not by much. Pittsburgh is an awesome city, there is not much in Toledo.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jaykay1995

• View Profile
Re: Duquesne Vs. Toledo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »
Sounds like you'd rather live in Pittsburgh, and with these types of schools you will pretty much have to stay in the same city when you graduate, and live there for a very long time.

They're both going to be competitive.  At a TTT, people want to have a chance to work when they're done.

As far as transferring, sure if you're tops in your class you'll have the chance, but who wants to bank on that?

Toledo, which is a crappier city, does not offer competition from students from better local law schools (unlike Pittsburgh).  However, there probably isn't much of a legal market there to begin with.

I would pick Duquesne.

Frappe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 06:43:28 PM »
Just a couple of comments:

1. Toledo does in fact rank it's class.
2. Toledo missed the second tier by one slot this year, so hopefully they'll climb back into the 2nd tier next year.
3. Also, I wouldn't say that you'd be stuck in Toledo when you graduate. I would think that many alum practice in Michigan since Detroit and Ann Arbor are only an hour away.

ps. I'm going to be attending Toledo, so I'm bias. I know nothing about Duquesne.
Good luck at which ever school you choose!

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »
pcaps1,

Have you decided between Duq. and Toledo yet?

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »
pcaps1,

Did you decide where you will be going yet?