Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany - Class of 2008  (Read 22891 times)

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
Re: Albany - Class of 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
xyz, congrats on finding a place. I'll be living in a closet and have yet to see the place or the city but am thinking good thoughts. you saying you like albany more and more is encouraging.  I plan to be there 2 and a half weeks before and meet up with the fabulous loulielawyer
juristsayswhat?

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 10:07:41 PM »
Orientation question.
All I know is that it's on the 15th of August and there's a BBQ in the afternoon, but I have no idea what time it begins or where we're supposed to be. Think the first day is all speech and giggles then we do hardcore legal intro? anyone?
juristsayswhat?

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
yo yo - last year we had to be there by 8 (i think). Also, just walk into the building, the staff will have tables set up and give you a packet that will include your schedule for the semester. after that, everyone goes to the moot court room, where you'll sit through the "you are about to embark on a huge endeavor" speech.

Dont worry about it. last year, nobody had a clue where to go. you'll be in good company.
check the footnotes ya'll

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
thanks lipper. 8 is kinda a huge endeavor in and of itself. good to know. So basically was the first day speeches and information then what happens the rest of the week? some kind of crash course in making outlines? briefing?anywayzz,I do find relief in the fact that EVERYONE there will be just as lost as me on day one.
juristsayswhat?

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 09:16:48 PM »
yeah, nobody has a clue that week, so dont think ur the only one. first week is when u get ur parking permit, u get ur checks, ID cards, all administrative stuff like that. no, u don't get taught how to brief or outline. its usually just speeches in the morning, and then u have to go to a lecture on motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment. u basically get taught when this is raised, what must be raised, how its raised, and who has the burden of proof, and when it shifts. then on friday u have a test about it. dont worry about the test, i dont think anybody in the history of legal methods has ever failed. u also get hw every night, reading on the various motions. its nothing big.

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 11:50:52 PM »
thanks lipper!! It sounds pretty cool, now that I know what to expect. I remember in undergrad there were all these social events   in the evening like comedy night etc etc but they're weren't mandatory or anything. Is that like that too or does everyone go home and do homework? Hey did you get some kind of law school over the summer after 1L? What did you do this summer? Which clinics are you looking into? just wondering. thanks again lippers.
juristsayswhat?

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 11:44:28 PM »
yeah, i got a DA's internship this summer near the city. not sure which clinic i want to do yet.

Nope, no official social things once u get out. although, i know some people got together and went to some bars. in regard to hw, u get like 20 pages a night, should take about an hour or so....although i never did it, ha.

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2005, 12:04:02 PM »
DA internship that'S awesome! thanks for making orientation sound less daunting. I'm a lot less anxious now. all that's left is to pack and set up house.
juristsayswhat?

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 09:46:45 AM »
Thanks for the information Lipper. I had no idea what to expect at all. 

We are getting close CC!

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 07:03:50 AM »
I KNOW!!!!! EEK!!! I'm in Bangkok now getting the nitty gritty details in place. tuition. pesky little detail.
So hot here I can't wait to head to the states!!
bring it ON!
juristsayswhat?