Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Professional Really Necessary?  (Read 1058 times)

ttiwed

Is Professional Really Necessary?
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »

Ezekiel

• View Profile
Re: Is Professional Really Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:40:08 AM »
The only thing they stripped out of Pro was the ability to join a Domain.  If you don't know what a domain is, it is like centralized security, usually used at a corporate network.  It would seem strange to me for them to use that feature, but if they do, you can't use Home.  Home has some foo-foo features that Pro doesn't like Fast User Switching, but I personally would never use that anyway.

If you already have Home, and can't get a straight answer, no way would I upgrade now.  Show up with Home until you see it doesn't work.  As an aside, if you do have to upgrade, try to get it through your school.  Ohio State has an academic bundle for $155 that has XP Pro, Office 2003, and a bunch of other ancillary crap.  Those two programs alone would cost about $500 retail.

Good luck!
Todd

I know at Michigan you need pro, at least for full functionality, like printing.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 08:54:09 AM »
Ohio State has an academic bundle for $155 that has XP Pro, Office 2003, and a bunch of other ancillary crap.

Quote from: Ezekiel
I know at Michigan you need pro, at least for full functionality, like printing.

Uh-oh, can we trust you two to be on the same board together without causing trouble?   :D

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 11:48:11 AM »
What's the reason that they gave you that you need pro?  I can't imagine a situation in law school where you need pro over home. 

I would not upgrade either. 

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 09:29:24 AM »
i was acutally told that some of the law and exam software will not run correctly on the home edition.  who knows tho.
I love my philly phanatic :)

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »
Exam4 runs on Home.  I have heard that Pro is less buggy and more compatible with the school's network system.  Wireless printing isn't a great advantage though, I wouldn't upgrade for that.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
Pro has more robust network security features, when connection to corporate or school networks.  I don't know exactly what they are, but the gap was closed with SP2.  If the school has a laptop loan, you should probably get it (regardless of whether you need a new laptop) and use part of the money for that.

Pro also has Fast User Switching, it's just disabled by default.