Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Widener Harrisburg  (Read 10569 times)

PeonM

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Widener Harrisburg
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »
I bought most of my furniture in NJ. I hit up IKEA. Great furniture at affordable prices. If you have a chance to get to Philly there's an IKEA there.

Yea,  my apartment is giving me a hard time about specific time frames for moving in.  I'm actually going to be renting some of the furniture pieces from IFR (affiliated with my building) and getting my some pieces (like the desk, shelfs) from Ikea.  In most probability, I'm going to be forced to move in, run out to ikea for furniture, then back again by 5pm to get more pieces through.

As for the restaurants and nightlife, I guess everything that Harrisburg offers is congregated on 2nd Street.  I asked around for some restaurant recommendations, but everyone just pointed to this street rather any specifics.

And I'm still waiting to hear about my next years schedule, am I the only person still waiting on this?  I figure I'm going to call the registrar's office tommorow morning, but just want to see what your general concensus on this is...

niki1244

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
Hi everyone! 

Legalkitty - yes, you can call the bookstore and have the books shipped to you, at least as far as the books for Intro to Law.  I haven't asked about any of the other class' texts yet because the first assignments have not been released.  It doesn't appear that they will be released until August 15th either.  I am slightly disconcerted about that because I will be out of the country from August 6th until August 13th.  I an considering just heading to the bookstore to see if it's set-up the way undergrad was, by professor. 

Let me know if any of you have tried a different approach.  I would love to have bought my books before I leave! 

I am here in Harrisburg now, and have been since July 31.  I have found enough to amuse myself although I have spent a lot of my time at the barn (since I won't have any time during school).  I have a restaurant recommendation for you -- Zephyr Express on North Street in downtown Harrisburg has yummy food and a great courtyard.  I ate there the other night and they let me sit and read as long as I wanted too.  The manager seemed nice as well.  I try to avoid the chains so this was a welcome atmosphere. 

As to furniture, I bought a lot of what I didn't already have from Target or antique stores.  Nothing elaborate or expensive here!  I am in dire need of a dining room table though and would love to have an old butcher block one; however, at this point I just want something to spread all my crap on come the beginning of classes. 

I hope the information helps!  See you all soon. 

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 09:20:08 AM »
Hi everyone! 

Legalkitty - yes, you can call the bookstore and have the books shipped to you, at least as far as the books for Intro to Law.  I haven't asked about any of the other class' texts yet because the first assignments have not been released.  It doesn't appear that they will be released until August 15th either.  I am slightly disconcerted about that because I will be out of the country from August 6th until August 13th.  I an considering just heading to the bookstore to see if it's set-up the way undergrad was, by professor. 

Let me know if any of you have tried a different approach.  I would love to have bought my books before I leave! 

I am here in Harrisburg now, and have been since July 31.  I have found enough to amuse myself although I have spent a lot of my time at the barn (since I won't have any time during school).  I have a restaurant recommendation for you -- Zephyr Express on North Street in downtown Harrisburg has yummy food and a great courtyard.  I ate there the other night and they let me sit and read as long as I wanted too.  The manager seemed nice as well.  I try to avoid the chains so this was a welcome atmosphere. 

As to furniture, I bought a lot of what I didn't already have from Target or antique stores.  Nothing elaborate or expensive here!  I am in dire need of a dining room table though and would love to have an old butcher block one; however, at this point I just want something to spread all my crap on come the beginning of classes. 

I hope the information helps!  See you all soon. 

Niki,
Here is what I know. You can actually call the bookstore now (or go there, in your case) and they will have the books ready for all of our classes. And you are right about the first assignments; they won't be up until orientation.

Sounds like you found a cool restaurant. I haven't been able to venture outside of the area the school is in, and it is only chains as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the info and see you all in a little over a week. I am psyched!!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

PeonM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 01:11:45 AM »
sorry to reinterate..

but besides scott, have any of you heard back in regards to our next year's schedule?

thanks y'all

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 09:24:41 AM »
sorry to reinterate..

but besides scott, have any of you heard back in regards to our next year's schedule?

thanks y'all

Do you mean our fall's schedule? Or something else? I have my fall schedule and I got in on July 20th. If that is what you are referring to, you should definitely have that. I would call the registrar.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

PeonM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 09:16:17 PM »

Do you mean our fall's schedule? Or something else? I have my fall schedule and I got in on July 20th. If that is what you are referring to, you should definitely have that. I would call the registrar.

Yar, things pertaining to what section we are in, the time and schedule of our actual class (e.g. property et al).  I did get next year's academic calender with my acceptance letter. 

Regardless, moving in next Wednesday, so if I don't hassle them over the phone, I'll just have to do it in person :)

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 09:40:39 PM »
I'm in Harrisburg now. I just moved in this afternoon. Bad news, my room has concrete walls so it's gonna suck trying to hang anything up.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2005, 10:02:06 PM »
Hi, doesn't 3M make hooks that have sticky backs, which can be removed by just pulling the sticky back?  Your going to have to figure something out or ls might seem like prison. ;)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 01:44:44 PM »
I'm in Harrisburg now. I just moved in this afternoon. Bad news, my room has concrete walls so it's gonna suck trying to hang anything up.

Buy little concrete nails.  I used to use them in Germany on my concrete walls.  Ask at Lowe's or Home Depot. 
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »

Buy little concrete nails.  I used to use them in Germany on my concrete walls.  Ask at Lowe's or Home Depot. 

That's good advice twarga, but, I would check with Widener first to see if they will make you make repairs.  You should have been sent conditions to which you must comply, did they mention anything like having to make repairs?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."