Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?  (Read 6009 times)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2005, 02:16:28 PM »
Most of my classmates bring two bags full of books to class every day. I can't help laughing when I see them -- I never bring the casebook in class! And the idea of scanning/copying books is really funny! LOL

I agree the case book isnt really necessary to bring to class, as long as you brief the case and are good at doing it thats all you should need to answer the prof questions.

If there is a point you may have missed just make a note and go back and look at the case again.

($)

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2005, 02:30:21 PM »
I agree the case book isnt really necessary to bring to class, as long as you brief the case and are good at doing it thats all you should need to answer the prof questions.

Sometimes pros ask you to read a specific paragraph in the casebook

breadboy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2005, 02:38:25 PM »
Hey I think you are missing one huge factor in your plan to scan all your books... when you scan a file onto your laptop, the files are HUGE. I had to scan signature pages and handwritten changes at work and one day i got the idea to just scan the whole 50 page agreement. Needless to say the files were so big it slowed down my comp so bad and just killed my memory. I can only imagine what such large files would do to a laptop. Just thought I'd give you the heads up!!

Thanks for all of the input guys, but i think i will be carrying out my plan come august. I will try it to start the semester, and if it doesn't seem feasible, i will abandon the idea. But i would like to try it, it may just work for me.

gratias tibi ago, my friends

File sizes are as big or as small as you want them to be. What you did was scan at a huge resolution, which gives you 50MB, 75MB or greater file sizes. All you have to do is change the quality and DPI settings and those same pictures (especially in black and white) won't even be 50KB in size. I've downloaded 500 page books of scanned material that don't measure over 5 megabytes.

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

A pro of ours makes us read from the book in class ... "Ms. Johnson read problem 3 page 456 and respond to it!"
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

istically

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2005, 06:20:29 PM »
And what happens if Ms. Johnson is not prepared or just happens to be kinda sleepy that morning?! Is she given a pass?