Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?  (Read 6309 times)

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »
If you have a Tablet PC you can take notes on your PDFs.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 08:43:24 PM »
Many law students choose to have their books "debound."  You can take the book to a local copy store, where they will strip off the binding and rebind the sections of your book according to your specifications.  This method allows you to decrease the weight of your backpack and avoid any potential copyright issues.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 09:36:22 PM »
I carried books first semester...what a pain. (Literally.) Second semester I got my books unbound, and had everything in one binder. Much easier on the back.

I don't know how someone can get away with no books in class. I found them pretty indespensible for most classes when I was on the hot seat, which sometimes seemed pretty frequent.

For next semester, we'll see how the schedule shakes out, but I'll consider doing that again.

Not a fan of rolling bags. Maybe I've just been run over by too many, since the people who have them always seem to sit in the middle of the rows.

Oh, and on the copyright issue, I haven't had that class. But if you're copying a book you own for your own use, it doesn't seem like there'd be a problem. If you then sell that copy, that would probably be an issue. But the scanning thing seems cost/time prohibitive. Unbinding was $4.50/book for me, along w/the 3-hole punching. Rebinding would be about $15/book, if I choose to do that. I'd rather not waste my time at a copier.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 10:33:05 PM »
Having read everyone's thoughts on this, three things come to mind.

3. How can you not know if there are lockers? Did you not visit the school? I visited 5 schools, had a tour at each one, and was shown lockers on all 5 tours. I can't imagine deciding on a school without even visiting first.
Hmmm...maybe the reason i did not visit the school is because it is IN CALIFORNIA AND I AM IN NYC!!!. Not everyone has a gazillion dollars to go anywhere they please and at anytime. GEEEZ.   

I'M RICK JAMES female dog!

birddog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 01:23:56 PM »
Seems like a waste of time to me, but if it works for you then it works for you.  Everyone I knew at school just took the books to class.  1Ls often used lockers and 2L/3Ls just left their books in their journal ofices. 

As for me, I took notes in my books so it would have sucked to have only had them on my computer.  In fact, I ditched my computer after the first year cause I got tired of lugging it around.  Be careful if you keep the pages as PDFs on your computer that you'll have to toggle between the pages and your notes (or briefs if you do that). 

landauer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 07:34:19 PM »
i've heard some people use e-Legalines

http://www.gilbertlaw.com/bookstore/elegalines.asp

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 06:47:12 PM »
i've heard some people use e-Legalines

http://www.gilbertlaw.com/bookstore/elegalines.asp

Yes, some unfortunate souls do (Legalines are terrible for almost any subject!), but even they do not use them in lieu of the casebook.   Legalines and High Court Summaries (my personal favorite) are casebriefs, which means that they give quick case summaries of the most important cases.  You should not rely on these so much that you neglect to do your reading.  They are meant to be used as more of a supplement, to organize your thoughts before class.  Can you pass a class by using only casebriefs?  Sure, at some schools you can.  But I am almost willing to bet that very few people ace a class by reading case briefs alone.

c est ša

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2005, 06:40:30 AM »
Sure, at some schools you can.  But I am almost willing to bet that very few people ace a class by reading case briefs alone.

Exactly, cases are essential to understanding the law found in commercial outlines , you actually have the time to read both -- that's what a good law school requires from its students and the latter sure do what they're supposed to.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »
If you study at the library, you can just use the books there. 
My second year, I avoided carrying books around.  I took notes from my house or from the library (the library at  your school, although I attend a different school.  And I did most of my research on Lexis instead of using the casebooks.  In one class, I didn't even buy the casebook and I still got a good grade. 

Making all those photocopies is not a good use of your time.  Come up with another idea.

Also - if a professor assigns a hornbook, it's a good idea to read it.  But do not buy it.  Use the hornbook and libary and take notes directly from it.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 11:11:07 PM »
Dammit, didn't i already say i was gonna try it. No more suggestions are necessary thank you  very much.

I'M RICK JAMES female dog!