Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?  (Read 6211 times)

Brooklaw

• View Profile
Re: Scan/copy law books instead of lugging them to class?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »
Thanks for all of the input guys, but i think i will be carrying out my plan come august. I will try it to start the semester, and if it doesn't seem feasible, i will abandon the idea. But i would like to try it, it may just work for me.

gratias tibi ago, my friends

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 01:19:11 PM »
You're talking about scanning thousands and thousands of pages.  If you can get a schedule soon and start doing it now, so it's completely finished by the time law school starts, fine.  There are some good arguments for it, like the ability to mark up the pages more completely, without lowering the value of the book at all.  I really only suggest this if you have a tablet PC as well.  Otherwise you lose the advantage of being able to write and draw on the pages.

yomugonamug

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 05:16:18 AM »
You're talking about scanning thousands and thousands of pages.  If you can get a schedule soon and start doing it now, so it's completely finished by the time law school starts, fine.

Some people scan the case briefs, that's dozens, not thousands of pages

kenxc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »
I refuse to have a dorky rolling backpack. No offense to anyone with one already, but that is something i will never have.

Trying to win the law school fashion award?  Writing off something functional because it isn't aesthicially pleasing is probably not a good mindset to have right before starting law school.  Your focus should be on making your life as easy as possible.  Besides, I have a hard time believing that people would give someone a hard time in law school because of their backpack.

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 10:26:04 AM »
I refuse to have a dorky rolling backpack. No offense to anyone with one already, but that is something i will never have.

Trying to win the law school fashion award?  Writing off something functional because it isn't aesthicially pleasing is probably not a good mindset to have right before starting law school.  Your focus should be on making your life as easy as possible.  Besides, I have a hard time believing that people would give someone a hard time in law school because of their backpack.

Maybe you can get them to raise your loan amount so that you can hire a work study undergrad to carry all your books.  :D
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 09:02:39 PM »
I've always thought it would be cool to have a little burro with some panniers for my books.  I could park him at the bike rack.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 02:42:39 AM »

I don't care what anyone will say about the rolling backpack. I think it is dorky. And it isn't that functional to me. I've seen people at school with them and they are always tipping over on the side when you are walking with it. It looks annoying to me. So what is functional to you may not be to me and i'd thank you to remember that.

I'm Rick James female dog!

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »
Having read everyone's thoughts on this, three things come to mind.

1. Scanning is one thing, but copying an entire published book? Any 2L's or 3L's want to comment on the the possible copyright issues there?
2. The time factor has got to be important, time management is so important, it seems like a collosal waste of time.
3. How can you not know if there are lockers? Did you not visit the school? I visited 5 schools, had a tour at each one, and was shown lockers on all 5 tours. I can't imagine deciding on a school without even visiting first.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 01:04:23 PM »
It is possible to scan books easily. Some office copiers can scan documents. You put a stack of paper on the auto feeder and have it scan  into an adobe PDF file. You could do an entire book in 10-15 minutes with little to no work.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 02:08:47 PM »
If you have to break the binding and seperate all the pages of the book to copy or scan it, why bother to copy or scan it?  Just take the pages from the broken up book you need when you need them and mark them up, highlight, book brief, etc.  I doubt you will be able to resell it if it has been broken apart.