Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LS success book recommendations  (Read 918 times)

Angie4Prez

LS success book recommendations
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:03:36 PM »
Hey everyone.  This may be a question for the pre-law board, but I thought I would throw it out here.  I just finished reading OneL and am now looking to read some books that give you specific info and tips about achieving success in law school.  I've been to Amazon and seen what they have to offer, such as "Planet Law School" and "Acing Your First Year of Law School" etc, but was wondering if anyone out there had any strong recommendations on particular reads...if there is one book out there better than the rest for preparing you for LS.

Thanks.

schnorer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LS success book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 11:47:08 PM »
surviving law school by an alumni of university of pennselvania

Ezekiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »
At amazon read the "how to" lists about going to law school.  They have great book recommendations.  The best one I've read is "Getting to Maybe".

Angie4Prez

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 12:56:30 AM »
Thanks schnorer and Ezekiel for the recs.

As for the rest of you out there, c'mon, show a girl some love.  I know that there are people out there who have read some of these books.  Share the knowledge.   I'm sure there are others who would like to know as well as myself.   

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »
OK, here's my love.  :D

I read quite a few of the "how to law school" books last summer.  I would put them in 2 groups; 1) Planet Law School II and 2) the rest.

Planet Law School is written from a negative viewpoint on law schools and law professors.  It generates strong reactions from people both for it and against it.  I feel it's approach should be taken as a "buyer (student) beware" rather than a "don't go to law school" approach and really advocates taking responsibility yourself for your eduction and not relying on law school to "spoon feed" it to you.  I doubt anyone expreriences all the horror stories he has, but I bet most people will experience or hear of at least one or two similar incidents during their law school career.  If nothing else, I think the suggestions for supplemental materials (especially some books by John Delaney) and prepping before you go were worth it.

The other books all have a neutral or positive slant and most contain similar advice (i.e. don't fall behind, go to every class, brief the cases, use supplements, exams are what really counts, etc.)  You might glean one or two different things from each, but 90% of the material is the same.

Getting to Maybe is about approaching law school exams.  Personally, I found it somewhat difficult to understand and think the LEEWS approach is an easier and better approach to exams, but others like Getting to Maybe.

My advice would be to read PLS II and one or two of the others; then decide if you want to read any more.

Also, I'd suggest reading a few books about the law and lawyers in action that aren't "How to Law School" books. A few I read last summer were "A Civil Action," "The Buffalo Creek Incident," "Gideon's Trumpet," and "The Brethren."

Angie4Prez

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:17:57 PM »
OK, here's my love.  :D

I read quite a few of the "how to law school" books last summer.  I would put them in 2 groups; 1) Planet Law School II and 2) the rest.

Planet Law School is written from a negative viewpoint on law schools and law professors.  It generates strong reactions from people both for it and against it.  I feel it's approach should be taken as a "buyer (student) beware" rather than a "don't go to law school" approach and really advocates taking responsibility yourself for your eduction and not relying on law school to "spoon feed" it to you.  I doubt anyone expreriences all the horror stories he has, but I bet most people will experience or hear of at least one or two similar incidents during their law school career.  If nothing else, I think the suggestions for supplemental materials (especially some books by John Delaney) and prepping before you go were worth it.

The other books all have a neutral or positive slant and most contain similar advice (i.e. don't fall behind, go to every class, brief the cases, use supplements, exams are what really counts, etc.)  You might glean one or two different things from each, but 90% of the material is the same.

Getting to Maybe is about approaching law school exams.  Personally, I found it somewhat difficult to understand and think the LEEWS approach is an easier and better approach to exams, but others like Getting to Maybe.

My advice would be to read PLS II and one or two of the others; then decide if you want to read any more.

Also, I'd suggest reading a few books about the law and lawyers in action that aren't "How to Law School" books. A few I read last summer were "A Civil Action," "The Buffalo Creek Incident," "Gideon's Trumpet," and "The Brethren."

Ah, now see, this is the kind of lovin' a girl can appreciate!  ;)

Thanks for the in-depth analysis Coregram.  I have looked at Planet Law School, but with so many books out there, I just wasn't sure which ones are top notch, and which ones are just more of the same.  It sounds like PLS takes on a different angle and has some good things to offer...I'll check it out.