Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's Attending?  (Read 9833 times)

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
Who's Attending?
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:43:47 PM »
Hey everybody,

:o Just wanted to see who will be attending Cal Western this Fall. I am not entirely decided by it is likely this is where I am going. What about everyone else? Is everyone mostly from California or is there others coming from out of state? Does anyone now if they are having an admitted students day?

Can't wait to hear from everyone!

**Michael**

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who's Attending?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 08:24:11 PM »
36 people have viewed this an no one is going here??????

wufibug

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:53:08 PM »
Looks like I'll be attending Cal Western this Fall as well... just pulled me off the wait list 2 weeks ago.  Being a San Diego resident for the last 15 years, it seemed like a natural choice and minimizes moving hassle, extra expenses.  In all actuality, didn't apply anywhere else and after speaking to San Diego lawyers (father is one), Cal Western has a really good rep among practicing professionals... many were actually surprised to hear it was not ranked nationally.  In my opinion, the school is going to start getting national recognition, especially since their Moot Court Team just won regionals in the Jessup Competition... they beat USC, Loyola, UCLA among others.

New Student Orientation is on Aug. 22nd.

ACapes0909

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:17:45 AM »
I'm a San Diego resident and am going to be attending Cal Western in the fall. I applied to USD, and after keeping me in the dark for six months they finally rejected me. I was scared about going to Cal Western (cause it's not Tier One..blah, blah), but I went to the preview day and feel a lot better about it. Everything is so personal there. Everyone is super helpful and all the students had nothing but good things to say about it. I have also heard that the school has a really good career services center that has really good connections with the community. The library is so nice too, so you can say that I'm now excited about it. The only drawback I saw was the parking or rather the lack of parking. There are plenty of public modes of transportation so I don't think this will be a huge issue. So anyway, if you aren't from San Diego and have any questions, email me. :-) Good luck with your decision!

lawyer08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 07:39:41 PM »
I plan on attending Cal Western this fall and I'm from Chicago.  I'm willing to bet most people are from California, but not all.  I have several friends from the SD area who absolutely love it.  SD seemed like a cool place when I visited a few years back, although I didn't see the school at that time. 

terriblelizard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 01:22:28 AM »
You guys will like Cal Western.  I am a second semester 1L who was somewhat hesitant about the school.  You should not be.  It's a great school, with excellent professors and a really good reputation in southern California.  I'm happy with my decision, and I'll bet you all will be too.

Good luck!

WSPanicKC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 12:46:54 AM »
Just stumbled upon this LSD a couple weeks ago...I'll be at CWSL this fall as well.

I'm a mid-westerner as well, Kansas City, and did my UG at Chico State in N. Cal.  Lived in San Francisco for a while, then Lake Tahoe, and I'm back in K.C. now before making the move out to San Diego in early August.

Not gonna lie, CW was not my first choice.  Ideally, I've been looking at Southwestern in L.A. for a couple years now.  Got accepted in '03, decided I "wasn't ready" yet, then WLed the last two years.  Still on the waitlist, along with the other 2000 people, and assuming I'm not coming off of it in a feasible amount of time.

Anyway, I'm excited about San Diego.  Not many better places in the country to study for a few years.  I've been a little dejected after reading about a lot of the negative opinions of CWSL/lower-tiered schools on here and other boards, but hey, we can't all go to top 20 schools.  I thoroughly "enjoyed" my UG days, hard not to in Chico, CA.

So, I'm interested in hearing from others heading in the same direction.  I plan on studying my ass off, while also enjoying life in S.D., and hope to find others with the same mentality.  Yea, it's gonna be tough, Tier 4 or not, but what the hell, it's only 60 grand....

Scott 

WSPanicKC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »
, but what the hell, it's only 60 grand....

I was obviously referring to the first year.  Yes, I would like to continue past that...

sdhopeful

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 01:27:37 AM »
Not attending yet, but am applying for Spring '06. Would anyone be willing to share advice on my stats?

I have a 3.1/158, but after LSAC factors in old bad grades, my GPA may drop as low as 2.6-2.7 >:(

Are there any advantages to applying for fall vs. spring or vice versa?

From your experiences, does a 2.6-2.7/158 sound like an acceptable combo for CWSL? Thanks!

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 10:18:05 PM »
Not attending yet, but am applying for Spring '06. Would anyone be willing to share advice on my stats?

I have a 3.1/158, but after LSAC factors in old bad grades, my GPA may drop as low as 2.6-2.7 >:(

Are there any advantages to applying for fall vs. spring or vice versa?

From your experiences, does a 2.6-2.7/158 sound like an acceptable combo for CWSL? Thanks!

I think you are right on the cusp..... Your LSAT is better than mine was(149) but luckily my GPA carried me(3.5). I think for applicants like you and I the personal statement makes or breaks you. You will hear many say that things are not looked at aside from LSAT/GPA but I really think when you are on the fence it does. I was very dissapointed with my LSAT score and was scared I would not get in anywhere. I ended up getting in at New York Law School, waitlisted at USF and in at Cal Western. I really feel my personal statement helped me alot. Have professors read it and really focus on that unless you are retaking the LSAT.
*************************************************************************************

So anyone else attending Cal Western in the Fall? I did my UGRAD here but am looking forward to meeting many new people.