Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLS2: For those who followed it...worth it?  (Read 3828 times)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
PLS2: For those who followed it...worth it?
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:50:35 PM »
Hey, I am surprised to see there really isn't anything posted on this side of the fence of lawschooldiscussion.org...may be there is something I should be picking up from this trend.  For those who read PLS/PLS2 before school and followed the prepping plan detailed in his book, how did it work out for you?

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: PLS2: For those who followed it...worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:58:06 PM »
Good question.  I just purchased the book but haven't started it yet.  Any input would be great.  If it's a waste of time I'd love to know before I start.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »
This is my deal: If the plan detailed by this author was so great, why wouldn't pre law advisors and every law school tell students to follow it? 

Seems like a lot of these "study aids" are just a way for someone to make money.  I am actually going to try to come up with some for my self.  I was thinking of writing a book on using the internet to find out info about law schools and apps.   ;)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 06:16:51 PM »
Law school don't exactly help you. It's a sink and swim atmosphere in law school. It's like saying why doesn't every pre law advisor advise a good LSAT course so everyone can score high and get into Harvard.

This is my deal: If the plan detailed by this author was so great, why wouldn't pre law advisors and every law school tell students to follow it? 

Seems like a lot of these "study aids" are just a way for someone to make money.  I am actually going to try to come up with some for my self.  I was thinking of writing a book on using the internet to find out info about law schools and apps.   ;)

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 06:25:19 PM »
I think that the good pre law advisors do tell students to heavily prep for the LSAT. Mine is an idiot (thrown into the job when the preprofessional advisor got overloaded). 

I am just saying that when something is really great, everyone knows it.  For instance, most law students (and lawyers) use Blacks.  Its a well known and good, useful product.  The rest of the stuff seems kind of hit and miss.

My bigger point is that I want in on the piles of money that get paid for stuff like this.  !!!!

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »
Jack in the box,
I followed the prepping schedule last summer. I have midterms at my school that are 50% of the grades. The midterms were given less than two months from the date I started school. Knowing this made me motivated because I had the goal of transferring from my school. I aced my first semester and got into Georgetown through Early Action. I aced my second semester midterms too and I'm confident that I did well on my recently completed exams. Even though the brief due in Legal Writing almost killed me. I have my other transfer applications ready to go pending my spring grades. PLS2 is a very different system. Sometimes, I felt like I was doing things parallel to my classmates. For example, while they were doing briefs, I was practicing doing hypos. I started my outline from day one of school. And I think I wrote to you earlier about how I did the Leews program which PLS2 recommends.

Every law student finds something that works for them. But I knew most law students just get Bs and Cs in school. That wasn't good enough for me because I wanted to transfer to a top 15 school and I wanted a good job which are all based on getting great grades. I guess the most important thing I got from PLS2 is that grades aren't random. If they were, I would have gotten an A in Contracts, a C in Torts, etc. I didn't--I got straight As. It's all about lawyerlike analysis--I applied that to every one of my exams per my professors' preferences (if they had any). The exams are the only things your grades are based on. Everything I did from the first day of school was to prepare me for my exams.

PLS2 was just a starting point. The prepping helped big time because when I saw those subjects again a second time in school--I didn't waste time getting confused like my classmates. I was able to get into the nuances more and see my professors' viewpoints, etc. And for subjects like EFI, a second look was like a review. Once I was in school, I adjusted things accordingly. If you have any more questions, contact me offline. Or look at some prior posts I made on the pre law site about PLS2. I don't agree with everything AF said in the book but I have no problem discussing how the book helped me this year. Good luck. HTH.

Hey, I am surprised to see there really isn't anything posted on this side of the fence of lawschooldiscussion.org...may be there is something I should be picking up from this trend.  For those who read PLS/PLS2 before school and followed the prepping plan detailed in his book, how did it work out for you?

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 04:47:14 PM »
Wanted to bump this back to the top, but also add a comment as I am now near finishing the book.  Aside from the negativity that everyone has commented on, it seems this guy is really in on the sell.  I don't know if it was naive to purchase all the primers mentioned, but he goes on about how in the future he is setting up a pay-site where he will tutor you online.  He also talks about setting up a summer pre-law program (after trashing BarBri and LawPreview...earlier in the book he says something to the effect of 'There is no way you can learn legal writing in a one day seminar'; but I guess you can learn it in two days, because that is how it is offered Atticus Falcon's camp).

I'm sure this is all helpful, though; even his tutoring and 'camp' are probably helpful.  It just seems a lot of my enthusiasm is gone after reading this book; I'm also 500$ less rich thanks to the primers.

Please do let us know your feelings out there, those of you about to be 2-L's and anyone else who followed the PLS/PLS2 preschool study plan and can testify to if it helped or not.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 05:15:28 PM »
tag

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 12:55:10 PM »
I would like to hear some more from ppl. I have already pruchased the books that AF recommends, but i am getting a late start. I will do my best to catch right now.

jcjc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:00:05 PM »
Sorry, I am not familiar with PLS.  But I am also looking for law prep materials.  Can you tell me where I can find PLS?  What is it abbreviated for?