Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Post  (Read 8554 times)

wakkawakka

• View Profile
First Post
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:36:44 PM »
I'll be a first year at William Mitchell next Fall, and was just wondering if anyone else reads this site.  I'm looking forward to school, but must admit to being a bit nervous.

Well...  Just wondering if there are others out there...

Talk to you soon. 

zjrobins

• View Profile
Re: First Post
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:40:00 PM »
Just sent in my tuition deposit.  I can't quite decide between sections 2 or 3, but I am leaning toward the laptop model.  Any insight into laptop section vs. standard?

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
Hey!  I am seriously considering WM for this fall.  Did either of you (or anyone else) from this board end up going there?

Thank you

paintboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »
WMCL 1L to be (Fall'06) here, wondering if there are any other Mitchelleers out here?

Interested in any scuttlebut on the profs or any other aspect of being a student@WM.

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »
I'm here paintboy :)  looks like we are the only ones so far.  So what section did you put as your preference?  Any chance you are doing the SEP?

See ya in class.

paintboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:32:40 PM »
hiya jvan

In order of pref, I put down 2,1,3, mainly based on schedule times, but with a little research on profs. too, but it mostly feels like a shot in the dark.

I'm not doing the SEP, although I'm having regrets/2nd thoughts about that. But being as this might be the last low-preasure Summer in the near future, I'll try to savior the time   to the best of my abilities 8)

fener

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:14:38 PM »
Does it list which profs teach the classes in each section as the last post seems to indicate?  Where did you find this information?

paintboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
The schedule as it was listed on the section pref. form did not list the profs, but from the "current students" section of the WM website, I looked at the Fall 2006 Course & Room Schedule
( http://www.wmitchell.edu/current/schedules/fall+2006.html )
, it does list the classes, sections and profs. Of course I don't know for sure this is written in stone, but the times check out, and it seemed like a little info was better than none. I surfed their bios on the WM website & I also checked them out on ratemyprofs.com (or something to that effect) , but I don't put much stock in the reviews, they seem rather flippant and perhaps a bit too vindictive to be helpful (the likelyhood that only squeekywheels and bellyachers are motivated enough to do reviews)
In any case, here's who is listed with which classes...

sec 1
Civ Pro - Murphy
Contracts - Schmedemann
Property - Krishnan
Torts - Steenson

sec 2
Civ Pro - Janus
Contracts - Heidenreich
Property - Bedosky
Torts - VerPloeg

sec 3
Civ Pro - Moy
Contracts - Hogg
Property - Roberts
Torts - Knapp

the WRAP class has the same profs listed for all sections, Schmedemann/Konar-Steenburg

the part time sections are listed on the link too.

cheers
 8)

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »
I too had looked at their bios, but didn't know about the ratemyprofessors.com - too cool - I'm looking at it right now.  Wish I had before I prefed my section...I choose 1,2,3. 

You all live locally?

CurrentWMCL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 01:44:26 PM »
I'm a current WMCL 3L.  I can give you the real scoop on any professor I've had or heard about from other here at WMCL.

If you haven't already been to the college website then check out the "Current Student" link.  There are links on this page for course schedule and grades.  Especially check out the "Grades" link ... you'll find some links for mean grades which will show the average grade for each class/section/professor.  You can gauge for yourself which profs you're most likely to get a better grade with.

My own experience is that you should try to NOT have Heidenreich for Contracts ... he has been at the college forever and seems to take delight in giving lots of C's and D's ... and since Contracts is worth 6 credits a "C" or "D" grade can really sink your GPA ... trust me on this.  If Prof. Hogg is still teachign Contracts then he would be worth considering ... he usually gives a take-home final.

The Civil Procedure professors are all probably about the same.

For Property ... I had Professor Roberts ... if you really want to learn the material then there is no better professor ... when I took the course she used a mix of online quizzes (M/C, T/F, Fill in Blank) and essay exams.  Other professors usually just go with one essay exam at the end of the semester ... not good in my opinion ... putting all your eggs in one basket ....

For Torts ... I think all the professors are about the same ... but Steenson is the master of Torts ... if you're really interested in Torts then take him.

For WRAP ... it doesn't matter which section you get it ... the class will just be a pain in the arse timewise ... but not difficult and you can generally get a decent grade.

After your first year you be able to take whichever classes you want ... I would recommend taking summer skills courses and trying to get your long paper requirement done in the second year ... then third year is a breeze.