Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apartment hunt?  (Read 13222 times)

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
Apartment hunt?
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »
I've been looking at different 1BR's, and it looks like my monthly budget will come out to about $1000-$1200 (incl. rent, utilites, and internet/cable) if I want to live alone... That's so pricey!  Is it worth the investment?  Or, would I be better off looking for a roommate? 

I've been hearing:
a) it's better to live alone ur first year (cuz having a roommie can be a hassle); and
b) you don't know for sure if you'll be employed outta graduation, since Villanova isn't a T14, so it's not worth it to spend that much money. 

Any advice would be appreciated!  ;D

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apartment hunt?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 03:37:24 PM »
I'm living in a 1BR by myself, and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.  Pick something that suits your personality.  If you get irritated easily and value your space, spend the extra money and live by yourself, at least first year.  I'm staying put for the rest of law school.  When I get home from school, I don't want to deal with anything that might set me off, and that includes a roommate.  Some people also opt to live alone first year and then move in with roommates second year, cause by that point it's not as big a deal and you're not quite so stressed out cause you've figured out the game.

And I would say don't worry about the people who say you won't be employed at graduation.  There's no guarantee, but honestly, it's completely within your control based on how hard you work and (perhaps more importantly) how you network. 

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 01:55:06 PM »
When I go in a few weeks to look at apartments, I'm sticking to 1BR's, studios, and carriage houses. I've lived with 3 roommates for the past 3 years at undergrad, and I can take it no more. Those were friends, too. So I can't imagine dealing with roommate drama (i.e. kitchen mess, bills, etc...) with a complete stranger. With everything I know about the first year experience, it sounds like you'll want to come home to your own place where you deal with your own mess. But I have also heard that if you get a 1BR, try to get one in a complex with lots of other law students so you still have some networking and contact close by.

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 09:10:22 AM »
I think in a perfect world, the best living environment would be a bank of one bedroom apartments in the midst of lots of hard-working, yet down-to-earth grad students. You could have your space, have some like-minded people around to hang out with when you had down time.

In my opinion, the extra cost to live alone (or in whatever situation makes you the most focused, and therefore able to do well your first year) is worth whatever it costs.  It will probably only be another few thousand dollars in costs, and it could mean a huge difference in how successful your first year is.

158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:45:49 AM »
That all depends on how you do work.  I almost never did work in my apartment even though I lived alone.  I just couldn't focus there, so I always stayed in the library when I had to get work done.  That being said, as I think I mentioned, I liked living alone because it was a nice, quiet space where I could not think about law school while I was there.  There's definitely something to be said for not working all the time.  Your sanity will thank you.

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 03:01:57 PM »
Thanks for all the input!  I still haven't made a decision yet... Hopefully =)soon?

soleil334

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »
Anyone have advice about apartments in the area.  I'm getting a 1BR but I can't decide where...I'm between Radcliff House, Radwyn, and Rosemont Plaza right now but can't decide! Help!

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
Anyone have advice about apartments in the area.  I'm getting a 1BR but I can't decide where...I'm between Radcliff House, Radwyn, and Rosemont Plaza right now but can't decide! Help!

All things being equal (price, amenities, etc), I say go with the one that is walking distance to a grocery store and some bars/restaunts. Or go with one that has convenient parking.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the specifics of those places, though.
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
I'd say Rosemont Plaza because of the convenience of all utilities (and cable!  ;D) being included in your rent. Less worries, less hassles! :D  I am leaning towards Rosemont myself.  But, please keep in mind that I haven't checked out the other apartments that you mentioned.  Instead, I've visited Mermont and Radnor House Condos.     

soleil334

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 01:18:02 AM »
I'm leaning toward Rosemont Plaza too..it seems really nice and all the utilities and cable(!) is included so that's a big plus.  I'm going to all 3 places on Sunday since I'll be visiting so I'll keep you updated on what I find :)