Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?  (Read 27633 times)

drhomer

• View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2005, 08:27:27 PM »
Dinner was fun!

My wife and i had a wonderfully cheesy time (in a good way).

For those in Culhane's Torts FYI the first assignment is finally posted.

See you all tomorrow...not that i know who some of you are :D
3.71/167 3rd Year Medical Student

In: Full $$$ at Widener, Temple ($10k/year), Villanova ($13k/year), USC, NYU
Jerks: GULC, Yale
Wait List: PENN

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2005, 03:29:28 AM »
Hubby and I had fun, too.  My week's going pretty well, but I'm getting insomnia.  Ugh!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2005, 04:01:47 PM »
I'm glad that you all enjoyed yourselves!  I hope I meet you all at the picnic, but I must warn you... I take all tests (even just pass/fail)  in t-shirts/sweatshirts, jeans, sneakers and positively no makeup.  So... if you've seen me during the week, you probably won't recognize me.  :D

I spoke with Nivala after the panel today, and he does recommend the Examples and Explanations book for Civ. Pro.  He has read it and he thinks it can be a real help to students.  Just thought I'd let everyone know; pollyanna that I am.  ;)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2005, 04:58:06 PM »
Twarga and Doc, I had a wonderful time as well.  I loved meeting (or in one case, re-meeting) you and your respective spouses, and it was a great way to kick off the week. 

Seconding YK's comment, I think the one study aid I have heard mentioned over and over by students and profs this week is the Civ Pro E&E.

SuaSponte

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2005, 09:19:52 PM »
Hello everyone, sorry I couldn't make it last night; I hope you had a good time.  I did just find where NightOwl read that it is an essay exam on Friday... well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I did want to tell people in section A that have Nivala, that I heard he is very "mean" or tough in the first couple of weeks, but then he backs off.  The person I spoke to, for reasons beyond his control, was late to the first class.  Nivala proceded to pick on him the entire semester, but the person said that he did get an A in his class, but he doesn't recommend going late to his class...ever.

Does anyone have any info on Eggen or Ferrell?

How is everyone's week going?

Just wanted to add something here. I am a 3L at Widener and had Nivala for evidence. I would definitely NOT say he was mean. He is a great prof and whoever has him should consider themselves lucky because they will learn a lot. He is strict, as opposed to mean and does not like lateness and especially when people dont turn off their cell phones. he will get ANGRY. Other than that I loved his class, he is one of the best Prof's at Widener in my opinion. Just be prepared, and be respectful and you should not have any problems.

As for Eggen, I had her for Civ Pro a couple years ago. She is also a very good Prof but will intimidate in the classroom at times. BE PREPARED every class. If you are unprepared, she will mark you absent for the day. Her exam is pretty hard and she strictly adheres to the dreaded widener curve. Other than than, I think she is very nice and I enjoyed her class.

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2005, 10:10:57 PM »
Hello everyone, sorry I couldn't make it last night; I hope you had a good time.  I did just find where NightOwl read that it is an essay exam on Friday... well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

I did want to tell people in section A that have Nivala, that I heard he is very "mean" or tough in the first couple of weeks, but then he backs off.  The person I spoke to, for reasons beyond his control, was late to the first class.  Nivala proceded to pick on him the entire semester, but the person said that he did get an A in his class, but he doesn't recommend going late to his class...ever.

Does anyone have any info on Eggen or Ferrell?

How is everyone's week going?

Just wanted to add something here. I am a 3L at Widener and had Nivala for evidence. I would definitely NOT say he was mean. He is a great prof and whoever has him should consider themselves lucky because they will learn a lot. He is strict, as opposed to mean and does not like lateness and especially when people dont turn off their cell phones. he will get ANGRY. Other than that I loved his class, he is one of the best Prof's at Widener in my opinion. Just be prepared, and be respectful and you should not have any problems.

As for Eggen, I had her for Civ Pro a couple years ago. She is also a very good Prof but will intimidate in the classroom at times. BE PREPARED every class. If you are unprepared, she will mark you absent for the day. Her exam is pretty hard and she strictly adheres to the dreaded widener curve. Other than than, I think she is very nice and I enjoyed her class.

Thanks for the great info!  Especially since they are my profs. this semester.  I don't really think that the student meant mean in a sense that he was nasty... that's why I put it in quotes.  The one thing that an internet chat room lacks is the ability to read someone's tone.  The student definitely gave the impression that "mean" meant hard on someone who doesn't come prepared, or late for class.  That is how I am interpreting you to mean "strict" in your comment above.  I certainly didn't get the impression that the student considered Nivala to be anything but a very good prof.  I have had the opportunity to have him for two of my intro classes, and personally, I look forward to his class and consider myself lucky.  I appologize for any confusion my comment above may have caused.  Thanks again for the info... any on L. Johnson or Ferrell?  ;D

SuaSponte

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2005, 08:32:34 AM »
Yanky,

I do not know anything about Ferrell, Im sorry. As for Prof Johnson, all I can really say is she is fabulous! She is extremely personable and gives the black letter law from each case which will be very helpful. I am assuming you have her for property? You are lucky because there are some not so great property profs at Widener and she is not one of them.

I also wanted to add, Nivala gives BRUTAL exams but I hear he is a very fair grader (I am still waiting for my summer grades so dont know yet how I did in Evidence). He gave us 9 essays in 3 hours (he said the 4th hour is a waste of his time and ours but I beg to differ there)I am not sure about his Civ Pro exam but I can only imagine it will be very hard. If you are lucky he will give you a rule book and let you bring that along. For evidence and for pro rep (both rule based classes, as is civ pro) he lets you bring in your rule book and you can write or cram in anything that fits within the margins of the book. I found this very helpful during the exam. Like I said I dont know how it will be for civ pro but I guess you will find out next week.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2005, 03:24:10 PM »
Yanky,

I do not know anything about Ferrell, Im sorry. As for Prof Johnson, all I can really say is she is fabulous! She is extremely personable and gives the black letter law from each case which will be very helpful. I am assuming you have her for property? You are lucky because there are some not so great property profs at Widener and she is not one of them.

I also wanted to add, Nivala gives BRUTAL exams but I hear he is a very fair grader (I am still waiting for my summer grades so dont know yet how I did in Evidence). He gave us 9 essays in 3 hours (he said the 4th hour is a waste of his time and ours but I beg to differ there)I am not sure about his Civ Pro exam but I can only imagine it will be very hard. If you are lucky he will give you a rule book and let you bring that along. For evidence and for pro rep (both rule based classes, as is civ pro) he lets you bring in your rule book and you can write or cram in anything that fits within the margins of the book. I found this very helpful during the exam. Like I said I dont know how it will be for civ pro but I guess you will find out next week.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away.

Thanks again!

Yes, I do have another question.  Today, we had the opportunity to take a practice exam for orientation.  Needless to say, I'm not in the position to feel like tomorrow is going a peice of cake.  The thing is, the only thing I think I'm really supposed to know for the exam is the general rule and the exception.  Aside from how to apply it... is that all I need to know for the exam?  Help!

SuaSponte

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2005, 04:38:43 PM »
I can only tell you what the exam was for me and that was 2 years ago. We had to do an IRAC. Basically determine what the issue is, then state what the rule of law is. Then you need to apply the rule and state your conclusion. Unless they are doing something different now, that should be all you have to really do. Follow that formula which I assume they gave to you and you should be fine. Do not stress over this exam. It is nothing compared to what real law school exams are like. I remember my friends and I all stressing over this and now looking back, it really was nothing. I cant imagine it is possible to fail this although I am sure some people do. Just relax, stay focused and you should do fine. Dont get too nervous, save the nerves for December exams, thats when you should worry! Good luck!!

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Anybody heard anything or met: Perry (Civ Pro), Kristl (Property) or Turezyn (Torts)? I only met my legal methods prof so far, not sure what to expect from the others.