Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?  (Read 28465 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2005, 07:22:39 AM »
Wow, now I'm getting scared after looking at my future prof's!!
Is anyone else starting to get nervous? Sometimes I wish it was already November, meaning that we are settled in and somewhat know what is going on. I feel like I'm walking into the unknown in 2 weeks!!!!!

You've got me, so no worries!  It'll be like having your mom going to school with you.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2005, 07:30:00 AM »

Also keep in mind that while sites like that can be really valuable and accurate on some points, I think disgruntled people are more likely to take action and leave a rating than people who are merely satisfied or even really happy with a professor.  So the site is likely a bit skewed towards the miserable, you know?  And the reasons for why people dislike a prof may not always have much to do with the prof's actual abilities; it might just be a personality mismatch or a result of the student's own underperformance or unpreparedness.  I would take negative ratings as a warning to really be on your toes, not a promise that the class is going to be a horrible experience.  And for the record, a couple of my favorite undergrad profs -- people I consider my mentors -- have some harsh negative ratings on their ratemyprofessor accounts.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2005, 07:56:41 AM »

Also keep in mind that while sites like that can be really valuable and accurate on some points, I think disgruntled people are more likely to take action and leave a rating than people who are merely satisfied or even really happy with a professor.  So the site is likely a bit skewed towards the miserable, you know?  And the reasons for why people dislike a prof may not always have much to do with the prof's actual abilities; it might just be a personality mismatch or a result of the student's own underperformance or unpreparedness.  I would take negative ratings as a warning to really be on your toes, not a promise that the class is going to be a horrible experience.  And for the record, a couple of my favorite undergrad profs -- people I consider my mentors -- have some harsh negative ratings on their ratemyprofessor accounts.

100% true!  Excellent advise.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2005, 10:35:28 AM »
Sometimes I think it's better to have a harder professor, that what I know that I have to read everything and will therefore learn the material. Having an easy professor...it would be tempting to slack off a little more.

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »
Using very dubious powers of guestimation, I made a reservation for six people at the Melting Pot, 5:30 on Monday the 15th (if you've never done fondue, the reservation is on the early side because the meal takes *hours*).  I think we could adjust up or down if we end up with a larger or smaller number, but I wanted to at least have us on the books. 

I'll put my name in this thread later next week so we can find each other, although I asked them to make a note that it would be a group of students who wouldn't necessarily have met before.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2005, 08:15:01 PM »
Using very dubious powers of guestimation, I made a reservation for six people at the Melting Pot, 5:30 on Monday the 15th (if you've never done fondue, the reservation is on the early side because the meal takes *hours*).  I think we could adjust up or down if we end up with a larger or smaller number, but I wanted to at least have us on the books. 

I'll put my name in this thread later next week so we can find each other, although I asked them to make a note that it would be a group of students who wouldn't necessarily have met before.

I will definitely be there.  I'll IM you my name and picture so you'll know who to look for.

3.0 (3.82), 166

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2005, 11:25:18 AM »
Who's moving into the dorms on Friday?  Let's grab a burger!

3.0 (3.82), 166

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »
Who's moving into the dorms on Friday?  Let's grab a burger!

Nope, but I may be there to pick up my books... I'm not sure.

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2005, 05:07:34 PM »
Can we pick up our books yet? I will be there Thursday during the day and want to grab them.

Are the classes really that cold? I was going to wear capris but not if I'm going to be an ice cube!

YankyKitten

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2005, 06:26:41 PM »
Can we pick up our books yet? I will be there Thursday during the day and want to grab them.

Are the classes really that cold? I was going to wear capris but not if I'm going to be an ice cube!

Yes, I was able to pick up most of my books with the promise that the rest will be in later this week.

As for the classrooms... I spent two years in the Polishook Hall classrooms freezing my a$$ off, it gets even colder in the summer, which is weird.  First year classrooms are in the law building and not PH, but we will be there for our tours.  I really don't know what to tell you, because I do tend to be colder than some people, but in PH there are people that say they are always hot and they think it's cold.  I am wearing jeans(or pants, I haven't decided) and a twin set so I can take the top sweater off if I hot.

FYI:
  The library didn't have airconditioning for the past two weeks and they finally restored it today, and one of their servers crashed over the weekend and they won't have that up and running again until Wed, Aug. 17th.  Oh, and anyone getting a loan... checks will be ready the first week of class.